Getting A Fresh Start

Tw: One swear
_______________________________________

"Wait wait wait. This is Hope?!" George said ecstatically.

"Oh my god," Sapnap replied, "We actually fucking made it..."

King Eret frowned, "Well, its not the Hope it used to be, but I suppose it's still lucky. May I ask, why were you venturing here?"

Niki put a hand on Eret's sleeve, "They had to flee their home when the virus reached it, and there were rumours of a cure..."

"Oh I... I'm so sorry," Eret shook their head, eyes crinkling in regret. Sapnap had a feeling he wouldn't like what the King was about to say.

"The cure... There isn't one. The only reason no one here gets the virus is because this is a mutated refugee city."
_______________________________________

Reality didn't always live up to expectations. If was often more sharp around the edges, more willing to cut and slice at hopes and dreams. But it was okay, because reality also knew how to be kind.

Here was a place to live peacefully; Sapnap was free of his abusive parents, and while George had lost his mother he had the ability to live a full life in a safe environment that so many mutated didn't get.

That's why when George realised what they'd been chasing this whole time really was a lie, he didn't cry. He couldn't, because this chase had also given him so much. (Plus, Sapnap was one of the only humans in the whole city which he found immensely epic.)

Of course it was still crushing to hear that their home, everything and everyone in it, was lost to them.

But... Maybe the boys already knew that, had already known that for a while, even. Neither could deny this would probably keep them up at night for the foreseeable future, but it was not something worth giving up hope over.

There soon came the necessary discussion of where George, Sapnap, Niki, Boo, and Ran would stay.

Luckily, the castle turned out to be less of a traditional castle, and more of a place for people to stay when they came to the city until they were on their feet.

Not so luckily, there were so little rooms at the moment that groups were having to share.

"So uh, do any of you have a cat allergy?" The King asked, and to everyone's surprise Niki raised her hand. Ran, as the others did, looked at her with shock.

With mock betrayal lacing his voice the counterpart said, "After all this time... Niki how could you?" 

His sister flushed in embarrassment and replied, "It wasn't serious! And we never had cats anyway so it never came up! Why uh... Why do you ask Eret?"

The king frowned. A moment passed in awkward and confused silence.

"I'm sure it'll be fine." they eventually said with a shrug, leaving the others in the dark.
_______________________________________

It was definitely not fine.

The King insisted that they personally escorted the group to meet their  roommate Antfrost, and it was immediately clear why Eret had asked about cat allergies.

Ant was a cat mutated. While some animal mutated received one or two animal traits, Antfrost looked like a cat in human form. He had chocolate brown fur flecked with blonde, and wore a dark brown hoodie and jeans.

He introduced himself to each person in turn, though when he came to Niki she couldn't stop sneezing long enough for him to say 'hello'.

After a few minutes of this Eret apologised to Antfrost, whose bright blue eyes were wide in concern while he stood as far away from Niki as possible. Niki tried to say she was sorry as well, but the constant sneezes made it sound more frighting than apologetic.

The group of five hastily filed back into the corridor, while Eret paced and pinched the bridge of their nose. "I don't know where to put you guys, I just- oh hello Sam!"

Around the side of the corridor had appeared another person, who seemed to be wearing gold armour of some kind. But with a simmering horror, Boo noticed that under a mop of green hair he looked an awful lot  like a- "c-creeper!" he finished out loud, making everyone jump.

The mutated, who Eret had called Sam, walked fully around the corner with his hands in the air, "not a creeper, just an awesome dude. Creepers don't wear armour see?"

"I-I'm sorry," Boo said shakily once he realised this, "You must get that a lot."

"I'm used to it" Sam replied nonchalantly, "and besides, your buddy looks an awful lot like an enderman, so I can't complain."

Ran realised that they were talking about him, and shrank behind Boo. This was no easy task, because of how tall he was.

Sam laughed, "Don't worry buddy, the eyes give you away." the mutated turned to Eret again, "You helping these guys find a room?"

Eret nodded, "Yeah, but my sister has cat allergies, so our visit to Ant didn't go too well."

"That'd do it." Sam laughed, "I- wait did you say you sister?"

A few minutes were taken to catch Sam up to speed on just who exactly Niki, Ran, Boo, George, and Sapnap were.

"What about you Sam? anything interesting to tell us?" Sapnap asked.

Sam sighed, "Well, I work here in the castle as head construction manager. Came here four, maybe five months ago now."

"How time flies ey Sam?" The King smiled.

"Indeed it does, but hey, I've just had a thought. Why don't you stick these guys with Skeppy?" The creeper mutated replied.

Sapnap's smile froze, and he knew George's did the same beside him.

Why did that name sound familiar?

The human banished this thought, sure that it was only his stress getting to him. He and the others followed Eret through corridors and turns, until he came to a stop.

He knocked on the door and a voice came from inside, "One second!", then the hurried fumbling of locks was heard.

When the door finally opened, in the frame was a tanned looking man with messy black hair. What was most fascinating were the crystals peppering his skin. When Skeppy noticed Sapnap staring he flicked one on his arm and it made a satisfying 'clink' sound.

"Cool right? They're pure diamond." he smirked.

"Skeppy," Eret interrupted, "Why don't we come inside before you start showing off. These four will have to stay here for a while, if that's okay with you."

Skeppy opened the door wider and gestured for everyone to come in, "It's no problem. The more the merrier."

The room Sapnap walked into was quite spacious, and a wide sofa sat flush with the wall on the far side. By the door was a little table-esque piece of furniture covered in a stack of letters.
_______________________________________

Dream woke up a few hours later, and was pleasantly surprised to find he was not dead.

It was another pleasant surprise to see his two best friends in the room too. Gods, it was bright in here, and his side hurt, and it was kind of small, but at least the bed was comfy.

"Hey guys, uh, what happened?"

"Oh boy," Sapnap said, "Where do we even begin?"

George hummed, "I'll start, right after you passed out."

"Sounds good to me."
_______________________________________

I am not going to make you sit here and read a summary of the past few chapters, so let's just leave this one here.

I was watching Ranboo's lore stream while writing this and oh boy the music guys,,, I hope it didn't influence the chapter too much.

Sincerely, a bleached pencil case