Have Hope (P1)

Philza sighed, watching the Dream team be led into a city by armed soldiers and guards. He couldn't follow them any further, but he had confidence they'd be safe in there.

The sun was approaching halfway in the sky: If Phil wanted to get back home for a late lunch he should probably start flying now. Perhaps he'd take a little detour though, just to check on Ran, Boo, and Niki.

But he couldn't take too long, his family were expecting him back home.
_______________________________________

Despite the obvious lingering tension between the soldiers and the Dream team, Captain Puffy seemed to have eased up on her stern attitude towards the new arrivals.

Perhaps it was instinct, or perhaps it was false compassion, but she was beginning to trust them. Now all they had to do was to wait for the others to catch up, and her hopes could be confirmed or denied.

The group walked in relative silence, and eventually a break in the trees revealed the beginnings of a huge blackstone wall topped with yellow and black stripes reminiscent of a bee. Dotted along the wall were cross-shaped gaps (windows?).

Breaking the pattern of windows was an imposing iron gate, guarded by two... Well, guards.

Captain Puffy took a few moments to discuss with the guards, then they pulled open the gate and allowed the group inside.

At first, Sapnap noticed with a heart-wrenching stab that this city looked a lot like home; with its old-fashioned buildings and cobblestone roads. It looked just like a much bigger version of his and George's village, until Sapnap started to look a the details.

Cars and computers may be an everyday sight to some people, but to Sapnap and George they definitely were not.

Sapnap saw that in windows overlooking hanging lanterns sat laptops and computers, and cyclists bumbled along the cobblestone roads next to ferocious motor bikes chugging out black smoke. It was daunting.

Seeing his startled confusion, Captain Puffy explained that this city used to be a modern city but was decimated during the virus. When refugees swamped here and rebuilt, it was easier and cheaper to style it after the old fashioned cities, but many citizens came from modern cities and clung to modern ways.

"George, you heard that right? This a modern city!" Sapnap stage whispered to his friend. Technically it was a mix of both kinds of cities, but that was only a technicality.

"Yeah, it's pretty cool." replied the shorter with considerably less enthusiasm. He didn't quite meet Nick's eyes.

Sapnap pouted, "Hey man, I know everything's trash right now but this has been your dream for like... Years!" he implored. "You told me you've always wanted to visit a modern city!"

George used to ramble about the inventions of modern cities for hours if Sapnap let him, dreaming of all the possibilities and the medical advantages technology offered. But now, after all this time, all Sapnap got was a half-hearted smile, and with a bitterness Sapnap despised himself for, he thought that maybe George's 'Dream' had changed.

It wasn't fair to think that, he knew, but he couldn't help it.
_______________________________________

Marvelling at the semi-crowded streets, Sapnap noticed with awe at the sheer diversity of the population. Not just humans of all different races, but the amount of mutated was absurd as well.

Of perhaps it wasn't so absurd, because as a certain pig mutated had pointed out, Sapnap and George weren't the most 'up to date' on current events.

There were hues of skin ranging from pink, to blue, to green, and people with all sorts of extra eyes and limbs, or horns or tails. There were even a few with wings like Philza, except they were more reminiscent of canaries and other birds. There was even a woman with hair made from fire!

Sapnap also wondered how many people were mutated in a way like George or Niki, where you couldn't tell by sight.

Just when Sapnap thought his jaw couldn't drop any further, Captain Puffy turned a corner and suddenly the group was walking towards an actual real-life castle! It was truly breath-taking, and in any other circumstance Sapnap might have broken into a smile or even a laugh, but as George made clear: now wasn't really the time.

The castle looked as though it had jumped straight out from a fairytale, and yet the tall towers were not imposing or frightening but instead they seemed marvellous and proud. Along these walls and towers hung banners depicting a flag Sapnap had never seen before.

Once again it was more of a comfort to see these than anything; the flags practically screamed protection and safety. It made sense, considering this city was apparently re-founded by refugees seeking comfort and protection when their homes couldn't offer it.

A fresh start. Somewhere safe and somewhere new.
_______________________________________

George knew he was being unfair and a drag, especially considering the amount of excitement he too wanted to feel and express upon walking into the city. It was just... Everytime he thought about cracking a smile, a shiver of guilt would run through him and he'd just feel the blood covering him and the person in his arms.

It was a heavy weight, but George was more inclined to humour Sapnap when that weight was metephorically and literally lifted from him:

First literally when they entered some sort of infirmary and two doctors took Dream to a hospital bed.

(There was a tense moment when the doctors tried to remove Dream's mask, but both boys adamantly protested before the blinding halogen lights could do any damage).

And second metephorically when they told the boys with utter sincerity that with a good bit of rest Dream would be okay. Maybe a bit of scaring, but no permanent nerve damage or anything of the like was expected.

George allowed himself to express the swelling amount of relief and happiness inside him with a smile.

He watched with that same smile as Sapnap stubbornly refused a doctor who offered to take a look at his bad leg, before defiantly walking over to a sofa and plonking himself down with a satisfied sigh.

Sapnap practically melted into the sofa cushions. George was instantly envious.

So with one last glance towards Dream, the mutated who'd saved their lives so many times over and probably many more to come, George sat on a sofa - a freaking sofa - for the first time in almost a year.

Oh gosh. They would probably be sleeping on actual beds soon. George wasn't sure Dream would like that very much, considering his tendency to sleep in trees over sleeping bags.

George probably should have been resting as the aforementioned mutated was, or as Sapnap probably was judging by his even breaths and how he was leaning limp by George's side.

Perhaps, he thought with a mental yawn, a few minutes wouldn't hurt.

As his eyes closed, George could've sworn he saw someone walk into the infirmary with a 90s-esque hoodie and goggles on his forehead, but the deep abyss of sleep was already claiming him so he couldn't be sure.
_______________________________________

50 parts pogchamp guys!!! I never thought I'd write so much before, and despite the... Fluctuating quality of said writing I'm still proud of this book.

A big thank you to every single one of you whether you vote or comment or just read, because every single one of you motivates me to write each day.

(that being said, votes and comments don't hurt 😉)

Unfortunately the next chapter might be quite a bit shorter as it was supposed to be on the end of this chapter, but let's just say it gives me more time to make sure the quality is better!

Sincerely, a demon made from lemons