18. Knock, knock - wait, we don't do that here

Knock, knock - wait, we don't do that here
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
In which you meet the second worst thing
to ever happen to those orphans.
____________________________

You hated dreaming. You absolutely despised it. You always dreamt the same and it was getting tiring. You always dreamt about your old memories with your old friend and it would always end with him leaving you. And it hurt to relive it again and again.

You liked the other memories though. The ones where you had fun and stuff. They would always bring warmth to your heart, and hereby an unbearable coldness whenever you woke up to be in the lonely present.

This time, was like any other. You woke up with a gasp, sweat dripping from your face. Your eyes were shut open, flickering all around the forest. The fire in front of you was dying out, and you realized how cold it was.

It was late at night - either that or very early in the morning, you couldn't tell. For a moment you looked confusedly around, wondering why the heck you had fallen asleep in the middle of the forest. And then you remembered yesterday's events, when your friends had thrown you out of L'manburg.

You looked at the compass in front of you, safely placed on the ground. Its glass surface reflected the dying flames in front of you, matching your own dying hope.

You didn't have anyone left. No friends, not even foes. No one. It was just you and that stupid compass Dream had given you. You prayed that it led somewhere good. If it led you to your old friend, you would love Dream for eternity, despite all the shitty things he had done.

Okay, you wouldn't. You doubted that the green bastard was even loved by his own mother, but you'd still really appreciate it.

Either way, even if the compass led you to your old friend, you didn't know anything. Not how far the compass would take you, or how dangerous the journey would be. You were walking in blindness, following the stupid hope of finding your old friend. You were pitiful. It was kind of sad that this was what your life had come to.

And the worst part was, you didn't even know what to do if you did find him. What would you say?
"Howdy old friend, remember me? The chick you left behind over riches and fame? Yeah, screw you for that by the way. But, anyways do you wanna spend the rest of your life with me, I'm lonely and I miss you."

Yeah, no.

Your whole body was cold, stiff, and hard to move. All you really wanted to do was to dive straight into the flames in front of you and get warmed up. But you had to settle with hugging yourself.

When you had stared into the darkness for a bit, you got up and continued walking. You were still tired, pretty hungry and it felt as if all of your muscles were frozen - you couldn't feel your toes. But you kept going.