Chapter 4

With arms spread out to the side as she stood, female servants helped in slipping on her rich royal robes for the morning. She has been invited by the king to attend breakfast at the Water Pavilion. Also invited, was the 2nd Princess Xin Lan, older sister of Crown Prince Xin Hua by two years.

Tying the waist band, she was now all set. The servants left one by one, leaving her to herself in that quiet room.

Pushing in her wooden hairpin that harbored a jade piece, it was then she noticed something as she looked in the mirror. The wall that stood behind her had a very faint, straight line with others that connected.

Her brow raised as she turned around and looked at that spot. Bringing her feet to move, the lines in the wall were shielded by a wooden table situated before it. Placing her hand on it, she moved the table to the side and moved closer to inspect the wall.

Fingertips touching, it trailed down to where she could see a white string that held the same color as the wall, blending it in. Pulling it, this hidden opening was revealed. Eyes looking about this small space, all that lied there was what seemed like a journal.

Taking hold of it, she inspected it as she also turned it to look at the back. The expression she carried was curious.

Crown Princess Lian Yu now held wonders about this journal. How did it get here? Who placed it here? Who did it belong to? What was the purposing of placing it in a hidden space?

What contents did it hold?

Realizing the time, she shook the questions off her mind and placed the journal back before shutting that opening. Briefly, she bit the inside of her lip as eyes lingered just a second longer at that spot. Eventually, those beautiful eyes turned away to leave.

She mustn't keep the king and princess waiting.

"Lian Yu, I hope that with these months that have passed, there is nothing bothering you." the king spoke with concern.

The Crown Princess shook her head with what seemed like a forced smile, "Of course not, Your Majesty. With these months that have passed it has been rather peaceful I'd say." a lie.

Hearing so, the king settled. "That is a relief." he hoped.

He's been holding worries ever since the horrible news of the young woman's sister's death. He knew that to suddenly change her life during her grievance was not the best decision in all honesty. It's something he was not proud of as losing someone dear can become the turning point for an individual.

However, as for Lian Yu it truly hasn't been the greatest. She never would've expected that the death of a loved one would bring along a shift in positions to where she can longer go back to the life she once lived. The life where she could live without being known to the world, and where the world did not know her.

Soon enough, the king left leaving just Crown Princess Lian Yu and the 2nd Princess Xin Lan. He had to attend to matters concerning the court.

With just the two, Lian Yu pulled out a piece of paper and writing tools she had brought along. It was known amongst the upper class that the princess could not speak. It was only recently that she had lost her ability or rather her will to do so.

No one knows why or what happened that caused this except her, Princess Xin Lan.

Finished writing, she presented it to her as she spoke, "Your Highness, I'm am sorry that it took this long to meet you face to face. It is truly an honor to meet you."

Princess Xin Lan smiled, "It is alright, and it is also an honor to meet you, Crown Princess Lian Yu." she knew sign language.

Setting aside the writing equipment, Lian Yu tried to also use the language of the hands. She knew it very well but still had trouble with muscle memory as she didn't use it often. "My pleasure," the Crown Princess signed.

"Please, just call me Lan." the princess told her in-law.

Lian Yu smiled, "Then call me Yu."

Suddenly, the expression Xin Lan held turned into a troubled one. "I also want to apologize for my brother's actions." this in a way surprised the Crown Princess.

Did she know about what happened between the two?

She continued signing, "He is actually a very kind person who is now in chaos. He doesn't know what to do." giving the reason.

Lian Yu didn't know how to react but gave an assuring look of understanding. "There's no need to apologize for anything. To have loved someone so much hurt him most." it also hurt her most too.

As Lian Yu sat on her outside porch watching the setting sun, she let out a long and deep sigh. Today was yet another long day. It was during this she thought about something that was always on her mind.

"Am I truly the Crown Princess?"

This was a puzzling question indeed. Why was it that she had to be brought in to take the place her sister once stood on?

Again, another sigh left her lips before shutting those beautiful phoenix eyes that looked of gray with a hint of green. As they peered to open, she could only wonder how her sister died exactly. No other words were given except that her death was sudden.

It was also during this that an individual's presence was announced.

"Your Highness, Young Master Ru Mingyu has come to visit." the female servant announced.

Just hearing his name, her expression lightened. "Allow his entrance." she always felt relaxed whenever he was around.

The door slid open and shut as he entered. His entrance was quiet and never took loud steps, but rather gentle ones.

Standing from where she sat at the outside porch, she greeted her longtime friend. "I'm so glad to see you." voice filled with glee.

Ru Mingyu gave a light chuckle, "So am I, Yu." He knew very well that she was lonely along with the fact that she did not want him calling her by another title. But, it was also behind those eyes of hers that he noticed something else as she played with her hands.

Coming to her, he motioned for the two to sit back where she was just a moment ago. Returning to that spot, it was then he sat her down and asked. "Why is that you are filled with sorrow?" voice calm.

Crown Princess Lian Yu gave a quiet and awkward laugh, "I really can't ever hide anything from you can I?" she seemed to question him when she already knew the answer.

Just a second of silence, she spilled what it was that had been lingering on her mind. "About a week ago or so, I decided to make some food with medicinal herbs for His Highness. I was quite concerned about his condition since I had heard from Sir Ping. And......"

"What did he do?" he questioned.

Lian Yu gave a light sigh, "He threw it to the floor...." a pause. "I do however, understand his actions. He truly loved her and with her gone, he didn't know how to control the anguish." putting aside any ill feelings.

At this, Ru Mingyu couldn't help but frown. With lips about to part and say something, he stopped himself before he could. He did not want to go on any further with the topic knowing that it truly did hurt her. She was never one to voice the things that hurt her but instead keep reserved.

"Yu, I assure you that everything will be alright. I promise to protect you." an oath that will transcend all those that come before them.

This gained a chuckle from the young woman as she lifted her hand to cover the lower half of her face for a brief second. "Thank you," he has always protected her.

Ru Mingyu faintly smiled, "If I shall break my promise, I will cut my hair." as one's hair is like their pride within the Xie Kingdom.

However, it was also this moment that the words spoken not too long ago was overheard by another individual. With clenched fists, Lian Zhong left with a furious expression.
.
.
.