Chapter 44

"Find her!" Xue yelled.

"Yes!" the men nodded as they split into groups.

Crown Princess Lian Yu was frozen with fear at the individual who had captured her. As much as she wanted to move or scream, she didn't. However, as she settled the offenders soon passed and she seemed to recognize something as well. Although he had only touched her with his gentle hands on a few occasions, she could tell this individual who held her meant no harm.

Eyes still filled with tears from the pain and Jie's death, she turned to look at this person. Seeing him, Lian Yu's vision became flooded once more as she trembled knowing that she was finally safe.

Hearing her sudden cries, he looked down at her with worry. "Lian Yu?"

Voice quiet, she called him by what she always did as a sniffle came about. "Your Highness," her head came down with eyes to the ground.

Words couldn't describe how Crown Prince Xin Hua felt. He hadn't seen her in so long and with her finally before him, he wasn't sure what to do. Slowly, his arms wrapped around her as he took her into his embrace. Doing so, he made sure he did not touch her wound having noticed it when he pulled her in to hide.

Lian Yu was confused by his actions, not expecting him to be so intimate with her. "Your Highness...." her arms were still, unsure if she should return the same action.

His eyes shook as liquid filled them. "Can we stay like this a little longer?" his voice was shaking as well. "I want to be sure that you're really here in my arms this very moment."

Those once hesitant arms finally came around him as Lian Yu rested her head against his chest. The pain from her injured arm didn't seem to hurt as much anymore.

A tear slipping, Xin Hua held her tighter.

"I'm so happy that I can finally see you."

In the Treasured Palace, stood Crown Prince Han Yinjie in his grand chambers this late hour. Xue entered as he bowed and kneeled. The royal had been waiting for his arrival.

"Your Highness, Crown Princess Lian Yu has escaped." giving his report. "However, I would like to report something else as well." It was something that he never would have imagined.

"Speak," his voice was angered.

Although he was before a menacing aura, Xue kept his composure and continued on with his words. "Two of the men suddenly died despite having minor injuries."

This caught the Crown Prince's attention.

"For the first ten minutes, they were fine but eventually lost all feeling in their limbs before feeling as though they couldn't breathe. Not long after, they died." he wasn't sure how something like this could happen.

"Have their bodies examined for any signs of poison." he ordered his guard.

"Yes, Your Highness." Heeding his words, he stood from where he kneeled and turned to the door to leave.

"Xue," Han Yinjie called causing him to stop. "Because this is your first mistake, I will not hurt them." Xue's back still facing the royal, his hands turned into fists. "I'll leave this mistake of yours as a warning."

With silence, the guard turned back and bowed to the Crown Prince as he then left the room. Those eyes he held, were filled with grudge.

Alone, Crown Prince Han Yinjie's attention shifted to the night sky that revealed the bright moon. "I'll have you back within my grasp, Crown Princess Lian Yu."

"Zhong, Mingyu." Lian Yu called their names the moment she saw them.

Hearing her voice, the two stood from where they sat and immediately rushed to her side. It's been so long since they've been together and seeing the state she was in brought worry.

"Yu...." Ru Mingyu's voice was filled with concern.

Taking his hands, she lightly chuckled. "I really missed the two of you." she said as she looked at her brother, Lian Zhong and took his hand as well.

A frown, he came forward and hugged her, but noticing that now bandaged arm, he held back on his grip. "Please don't leave again." It was terrifying learning she had been taken as he thought everyone was leaving.

Nodding her head, Lian Zhong then released her from his hold and remembering something she questioned him. "Father, mother......." His expression turned glum and could only look away. "I know." He was also aware of their unfortunate deaths.

A short distance away from the three, Xin Hua looked on with a faint smile. He was happy knowing she was now safe with them. Not only that, he still seemed to be in the same state from when he found her behind that boulder. Shifting his gaze, he looked to the trees that surrounded them as he wiped his eyes.

Already aware of his stares, Lian Yu's attention came to him who now was facing the other way. Expression dear, she turned back to talk to her brother and close friend.

Asleep, everyone lied in their respective space with thick coats and a warm blanket that covered them from the cold. This was with the exception of Crown Princess Lian Yu as she couldn't rest her eyes. Quietly, she left from where she laid and leaned against a tree that was not too far away from the others.

The robes she wore were new, having changed out of the dirty pair from when she escaped. Lian Zhong made sure to pack a few pairs just incase. Looking at the location of her wound, she could still feel the pain but it was bearable as a new layer of medicine was placed over it along with clean bandages.

Looking up to the sky, she still held worries despite her escape. The 12th day of the 12th month is almost upon them and the only way they will be safe is if they leave the Sui Kingdom before then. However, the journey is long.

A deep sigh, Lian Yu's gaze came to the ground. "Will we make it?" she was talking to herself. "I know that he won't stop until my eyes are taken." The bitter truth.

It was silent for a moment before she lightly chuckled with pain hidden behind it. "He already took my mother and father so at the very least, please don't let him take anyone else." She begged, pleading to the heavens.

Just a few feet away, was where Crown Prince Xin Hua laid. Having heard her movements, he awakened and since then has been listening since she was close to him. His face became troubled hearing her, not knowing what to do, say, or think.
.
.
.