Chapter 48

Awakening, Crown Prince Xin Hua's eyes tightly pressed together a few times before pushing himself to sit up. Looking around, the horse was still tied to the tree just outside the opening within the mountain he was in. Then, his eyes came to her, Crown Princess Lian Yu who still laid asleep. The small fire he had made the night prior was now dying as he reached forward to throw in pieces of wood.

It was a hectic night as they escaped from Crimson Mountain. Their clothes held more tears and dirt, and their constant riding through the darkness only added more as they tried to find a place to hide. Their plans of regrouping in the Xie Kingdom with Prince Han Zhaohui were now changed as well, deciding that it is best they meet at Sui Kingdom palace.

His gaze that was once fixated on her, then shifted to admire the rising sun.

Slowly, Crown Princess Lian Yu also began to awaken as she rubbed her eyes. Rising from her laying position, she noticed that Xin Hua's coat was on her. It was indeed a cold night. However, as she became more awake she noticed that he was nowhere to be seen. As quickly as she brought herself to stand, worry overcame her. Stepping out of the cave, she turned left and right before leaving to find him.

Her nose and cheeks were now a shade of red as her breath could be seen. Brows scrunched, a frown formed as she truly couldn't find him. Going another route she tripped, falling to her knees and hitting the snow covered ground. With this, she began to break down into tears. "Xin Hua!" calling his name.

Lian Yu was alone and she hated it but even more so considering the situation.

"Xin Hua," she called again.

Hearing the sound of snow crunching in front of her, she looked ahead and met eyes with the man she had been searching for. He held concern seeing her in such a state. "Lian Yu?"

Without anything to say, she got up and ran to hug him, startling the Crown Prince in the process by her sudden actions. "I thought you disappeared." her voice low.

Taken aback by her words, Xin Hua was unsure of how to respond for a moment as he then dropped the rabbit he had hunted onto the ground and took her into his arms. "I won't disappear. Ever."

Back in the hollow of the mountain, the Crown Prince had already cleaned and gutted the rabbit, and it now cooked over the flame. Every few seconds, he would take a glance at her wondering if she was alright considering that she has been silent since they returned.

"Did I do something?"

"Is there something on your mind?" breaking the silence.

Snapping out of her trance, Lian Yu's eyes came to him. "I'm just worried....... Are my brother and Mingyu alright?" Her eyes began to well up once more. "Is everyone alright?" voice breaking.

A sorrowful frown came upon his lips as what she has been going through was likely something she had been trying to suppress and was now slowly spilling from her system. Unsure of what to say, Xin Hua left where he had sat originally from across her and to her side. Still somewhat hesitant on physical contact, he placed his arm around her and pulled her close to him. This action of his took the Crown Princess by surprise as she was not expecting anything.

".....I'm here."

"And as long as I am, I will also wipe your tears away."

Later, the two continued along their way back to the Sui Kingdom palace. Evening was nearing as well and they now had to find another place to sleep for the night. Reaching a river, Crown Prince Xin Hua led them there, deciding to stop for a break.

"Let's rest for a moment before we should continue." he told her as he tied the reins of the horse to a tree.

The Crown Princess simply nodded her head, and gave no words in response. At the water's edge, she felt a sense of déjà vu as she reached for a handful of water and washed her face to rid of the sweat. Xin Hua did the same as well.