Chapter 12

It was morning in this season of summer. Standing before the chamber doors within the Tranquil Palace, was Crown Prince Xin Hua. He was here to visit his sister, Princess Xin Lan like he always does whether it be to talk of his troubles or just to see her. Most importantly, he didn't want her to be alone.

Entering after his announcement and his sister's acceptance, he greeted her. "Good morning," his voice soft as he also signed with his hands. He always became a soft spoken person with his sister as she was his only other sibling.

The 1st princess and eldest child passed at birth due to her small heart that couldn't beat, leaving the 2nd princess, Xin Lan as the only daughter. As for Xin Hua, the youngest, he was the sole prince and heir to the throne.

Princess Xin Lan also expressed her greetings, "Good morning. Are you doing alright?" she signed. She knew the troubles he held and wanted to make sure he wasn't just bottling it up.

This made him fall into thought just remembering something. Lips parting, those eyes of his looked to his sister. "I'm fine but......something has been on my mind these past few days." an occurrence he believes to be a dream.

Xin Lan's brows raised upon hearing him, "What is it?" she asked.

The Crown Prince sighed, "I feel like I had a dream. It felt I guess, mellow." he chuckled as his eyes settled into a warming gaze just remembering it. "I heard a woman's voice tell me 'I'll stay so you won't be alone.'" that sentence alone calmed his mind, body, and soul. "Their voice sounded so lovely.....I felt safe."

He felt at ease without any worries.

The princess smiled with glee as the expression he held was a dear one. "Then, if you should ever find the owner of that voice, you must treasure them."

However, the Crown Prince shook his head causing his sister to question him. She signed, "What's the matter?"

Xin Hua's gaze shifted away and to the floor for a moment before then turning back to look at his sister with lowered eyes. They were filled with woe. "....I'm not sure if I want to find that person or ever meet them." his tone was saddening.

The princess could only question him, "Why don't you?"

Eyes meeting his sister's, a frowned smile plastered his lips. "Because I'm afraid they'll leave too." just like the others.

Like Lian Song.

Sitting alone in silence at her desk, Lian Yu simply looked upon that hidden opening from across the room. She wondered if she should even continue reading it considering how shocking just one page was. She also questioned why it was even hidden, and why her sister even decided to keep log of her days within the palace.

A short sigh, she finally pulled herself together to stand from her seat and to that opening to take that journal. Moving the table that blocked it aside she opened it with the almost transparent string, and took it into her hands. Just holding it, she can feel an air of eeriness surround her. It felt haunting in a way.

Closing the opening, but leaving the table to the side, she made her way back to her desk and sat down. Even now, she still felt hesitant to open it despite having gone beyond the covers already. If the first page shook her, what about the others beyond it?

A deep breath, the cover was opened to reveal the next page she had not yet read. Eyes upon it, she began.

"It's been a few days since I arrived here, and I must say that I miss my family more than ever. Here, where I know not a single soul is a quiet place. This is where I reside, within the Vermillion Palace of the Crown Prince."

Lian Yu softly laughed at that first sentence. She too missed her sister during that time around when she had just left. The memory was clear as she would mope around in loneliness throughout the days. Just a second later, a pained smile came to be. Nothing will ever change the fact that her sister is no longer here.

"However, despite my longing to see my family I must search. Walking among the palace grounds, of course the gardens are beautiful and the architecture exquisite. But, it is within these places that someone I must find resides here. They are here, and I know it. Somewhere, in the shadows do they lurk with peering eyes as we walk on."

Again, was she talking about finding someone. Her need and want to know only grew more as to who exactly this person was and how did she know of them.

"Even if it shall be my last breath, I must protect her. In all her life, she has never done anything to deserve the pain brought upon her, and yet such a cruel destiny awaits her that she does not know of. In order to prevent this, I will save her."

~ Lian Song"

A sharp gasp, hands came over her mouth as eyes glistened. She now knew one of the many reasons of how and why her sister died. Her death wasn't natural but rather what seems like murder. Just thinking of it made her want to run and scream from the anguish.

Quickly, she shut the journal and placed it back in its hidden space within the wall. Once she was done, she could only stand as brows pressed together.

"Who were you protecting?"

An answer that could not yet be given.
.
.
.