Chapter 36

Kang was dead, having died from the wrenching torture, and leaving his partner Ye alone. Shouts could be heard from the cell Ye resided in as no word ever fell from his dried and bruised lips that were a dull shade. The man questioning him, Commander Lian Zhong, became more and more anxious with every minute, just wanting to know what their plans were exactly with his sister and where she was being held.

"Answer me!" Lian Zhong seemed to be begging at this point. Teeth clenching harder, he kicked the fire pit causing the burning wood to spill onto the dirt ground as sparks filled the air for a brief second.

Not wanting to move a single muscle as a result of his beatings, Ye remained silent. This only made the Commander click his tongue in frustration as he stormed out of the cell. Doing so, he passed Crown Prince Xin Hua and his personal guard, Ru Mingyu.

Seeing his friend walk past in such a state, Ru Mingyu paused to look at his silhouette that got smaller and smaller. "Your Highness," he called. The Crown Prince knew what he was referring to and nodded in approval for his leave. He wanted to check on Lian Zhong as he knew those restless weeks of questioning and yet still no answer, would only make any other person feel the same way.

Alone, Xin Hua walked towards the direction of that man's cell and with every space bordered with bars, he still couldn't even believe his eyes. "To think so many got past us," these guards and servants who "vowed" to served the royal family.

Entering his cell, Ye still did not move unnerved by his arrival. This made the atmosphere surrounding the two dead silent as the Crown Prince leaned against the stone wall. However, as the minutes passed a voice that everyone thought would not hear again came. ".....What is it that you want?" spoke Ye.

His reserved expression remained so at his words, "I don't particularly want anything," Ye's breaths were heavy. "But I do desire something."

Although reluctant, Ye spoke. "Even if I were tell you where she is, you will be too late."

Ru Mingyu entered as he said this and it raised questions. "What do you mean?" the royal wanted the exact meaning behind his words.

Ye scoffed, deciding his fate. "Crown Princess Lian Yu will set us free." he laughed as blood dripped from his mouth. "Are you familiar with how the story of Xiuying ends?"

This irked the guard, believing that he was messing with them. "What nonsense are you going on about?" Ru Mingyu questioned.

"In the story, it is said that a god, who left the heavens inhabits the woman Xiuying to live in the mortal world. We were always told that she passes of old age allowing the god to return to the heavens; however, she doesn't and is actually kidnapped by the locals who saw her as a threat."

This, the two knew as the one told as children was to make it seem as a fairytale, whereas how she truly died was learned later on.

"At the end of the story, they truly end the life of this god by ripping out her eyes, that are said to be the windows to our souls and presented it to the Great Dragon that sleeps under a mountain where he ate it. This destroyed the god's soul, never to be pieced together again."

Lunging forward, the Crown Prince grabbed Ye by the neck. "What are you implying with this?" he didn't want to connect the pieces even if he knew.

Ye laughed, "This story......it is real. A prince of the Sui Kingdom has tried to destroy the Four Kingdoms before where he killed the Crown Princess of the Xie Kingdom and ripped her eyes out to present to this 'Great Dragon.'"

Xin Hua's grip on his neck tightened causing the man to release a rough cough. "You're lying," he wanted to deny it all. "If this is true, why are the Four Kingdoms still standing?"

The bounded man snickered, "That's because it couldn't be written down just anywhere. And the only reason it didn't fall was because the Crown Princess had already bore a child, a prince."

Hearing that last part, the Crown Prince released him from his hold. That alone made him realize just how far his reckless actions of pushing her away in the beginning affected everything of the present.

"It's a relief you know.......that the two of you were not on good terms at the start or else all would have been for nothing if she had conceived a child."

Just remembering how their relationship was not the best, made him horrible. He didn't want to remember the cruel things he did to her. Suppressing it, Xin Hua suddenly laughed, confusing Ye and even Ru Mingyu.

"Your Highness," the guard called. "Are you alright?"

The royal brushed off the man's concerns. "I guess it is true after all. The royals of the Sui Kingdom are always more susceptible to becoming corrupt than any other royal family of the Four Kingdoms...... And you are one of them, descendant of the estranged Mo Clan of the Sui Kingdom." His full name, was Mo Ye.

Coming closer him, Crown Prince Xin Hua unveiled his dagger and plunged it into his chest. This took Ru Mingyu by surprise as he didn't think the royal would decide to end his life this day. Eyes filled with malice, Ye gave once last look at the man before him as blood spilled. "You.....won't win!" forcing his words out.

Soon enough, all movements came to a stop, and his head faced the ground where nothing filled those eyes.

Wiping his dagger, Xin Hua placed his blade back in its case. The look he held was almost heartless, feeling nothing for the man he had just killed. "Although the Sui Kingdom are the proclaimed leaders of the Four Kingdoms, the Xie Kingdom always has the final say in everything."
.
.
.