Chapter 28

It was dim in this space that seemed to echo without end, and the only thing that kept light were the candles that littered the walls. Sitting in a worn wooden chair was the man Lian Zhong had captured. His wrists and ankles were tied as to prevent any sort of unnecessary movements.

"What is the purpose of harming the prince of the Ra Nation and poisoning the tree?!" asked Clan Leader and General Ru Yan.

Head down with his dirty hair that hung loose, it seems he were still going to remain silent just as he did with the previous questions.

"Answer me!" demanded the General.

It was then, a sound finally came from the man after these grueling weeks of detainment and torture. "Hah......hahahahaha...." he laughed, irking the two. "Do you really want the truth?" his voice rough.

Not a word was said, but their answer was clear with their silence. "To free the Four Kingdoms from the curse the founders placed us under...... This nation is damned-"

"THERE WAS NEVER A CURSE," King Xin Chao shouted, alarming the General. "There was never a curse. Ever. Our founders found power and used it to protect others." He knew this more than anyone. Although there were moments of faces changing, their purpose never dwindled. Their purpose, was the people.

Despite these words, the man's expression did not change. "We will take her......we will take her to loosen the bonds of this curse." he sounded like a madman. "WE WILL SET EVERYONE FREE!"

And like that, those were his last words as his widened eyes looked at the blade that pierced his abdomen, then to the man who held it. Eyes in a glare, the king ripped it out of his body and doing so blood flew.

His last moments became a struggle for air and movements frantic as though trying to break free from his restraints. However, he soon passed.

Looking on with a solemn expression, Clan Leader Ru Yan spoke. "Your Majesty, why did you kill him?"

Throwing the blade that was previously resting against the wall aside, his gaze narrowed with malice caused by the deceased man's slander. "He was never going to spill anything, his loyalty ran deep. As long as he breathed, he would only continue to trash the Four Kingdoms our founders worked so hard to build."

It is the tragedy of loss and desperation, that led them to seek salvation even if it meant loosing their humanity.

Alone this late afternoon, Crown Princess Lian Yu sat under the peach tree of the Peach Palace. Although she does not know anything about the kingdom's background, she could feel the unbreakable connection she possessed because of her title.

Hand on the tree, the look on her expression turned sorrowful. "Do you know how Song died?" she asked as silence followed for a brief second. "She knew she was going to die because those who dare try to take the Crown Princess title, are killed by Her Divine Goddess Xifeng."

Leaning over and facing the ground, her eyes shut with pain. "What do they want exactly that you were poisoned?" The journal had record of everything.

Lian Yu knew it was rather absurd to talk to a tree, however because she knew of its true identity, it was alright.

"I must protect them......my family, everyone."

In his designated chambers, Prince Ren Huiliang sat as he wrote on a small piece of paper. With the poison out of his system, the foreign prince was no longer in harm's way. However, in some ways it affected his ability to walk leaving him bedridden. This only showed him just how powerful this paralyzing poison was, even though it was unable to take full affect. It is only with time that he will recover from this.

"I can feel the peering eyes that try to cut with every chance they get. However, there shall be no fear. The truth has been found."

With the last word printed, Ren Huiliang rolled the paper into a small scroll as whistle followed from his lips. Already circling the sky above him, a messenger hawk came flying down diving before slowing down and entering through the open doors that connected to his courtyard.

Landing on the top rail of the wooden chair that is situated by his mattress, it turned its back to the prince where a carrier was strapped onto its body. Coming closer to the bird, he placed it onto the carrier, and outstretching his arm, it got on.

"Deliver it safely," he spoke as he thrusted his arm up to allow the hawk for take off.

Watching as it flew away, he couldn't help a smile forming on his lips. The truth he found, was only the beginning to what lies ahead.
.
.
.