Chapter 55

It was the day after the late Clan Leader, Lian Gen and Madame Min Jie's burial as Crown Princess Lian Yu sat at the desk she always pressed flowers. There, her eyes gazed upon her work as a range of thoughts flooded her mind.

Her father, she respected him as the man who encouraged her to go after what she desired, and was the reason she developed an interest in plants and the wonders they hold. As for her mother, she loved and feared her at the same time. Not knowing the true love of a mother, that was the only thing she knew. But if Lian Yu was being honest, she was glad her mother died. She didn't want any sort of apology as she's already accepted everything that's happened, and with her gone, her mind and body that was once tormented by her was finally at peace. She's found herself.

A light sigh, the Crown Princess stood from the chair and left her chambers. She needed to clear her mind.

Alone as she wandered the grounds of her Peach Palace, Lian Yu had no destination in mind. Wherever it is her legs took her, only made her seemingly calm expression hold a troubled smile. Coming forward, she could see the difference between the first time they met and now.

Her hand on the divine tree, she inspected the state of it as she walked around it. There were still black leaves but less than before and the bark looked strong. Her once troubled smile was now of relief, but just seconds later did it become the same as before. Eyes lowering, she asked. "How long before then?"

At the Lian Manor, Lady Yuan Li sat unable to believe the words of the physician. "Are you lying?" She wanted to be sure that what she was hearing was not make-believe.

The old man chuckled as he packed his case. "My Lady, there are no lies as long I speak."

A large smile came upon her as tears formed.

Entering through the gates of the manor, the physician was now gone as Clan Leader Lian Zhong greeted the servants who have been working under his family for years. Some, he's known since a young child, and as for them, since he was an infant.

Opening the doors to his shared quarters with his wife, Lian Zhong set down the outer layer of his robes on the desk as he made his way to the bedroom. He wanted to take a bath as it has been a long day of helping General Ru Yan set up drills for the soldiers.

With his attention occupied, he was unaware of his wife who sat in the bedroom. She's been waiting for him the whole day. Seeing that he didn't take notice of her presence, Yuan Li called out to him. "Zhong,"

Quickly, he turned to her with a startled expression. "Sorry, I didn't notice you." apologizing for his lack of awareness.

Standing, the Lady walked to him as she spoke. "I have something to tell you." Her voice was shaking but it was not out of fear.

"Yes?"

Her lips pursed together with ponder as she reached for his hands. "......I'm with child."

His mind went blank for a couple of seconds, taking in the words he had just heard. He could now feel himself becoming restless. "Ar-are you telling the truth?" he questioned her.

She laughed as tears of joy slid down her cheeks. "Yes,"

A smile forming on his lips, it got bigger and bigger with each second. Pacing back and forth around the room, he eventually came to his wife and took her into his arms with a tight but gentle squeeze. "I'm so happy."

Yuan Li sniffled, "Me too."

It was now sunset at the Vermillion Palace of the Crown Prince. Inside the study of his chambers, Xin Hua sat as he went over scrolls that contained matters concerning the people of his kingdom. And by his side, was his grand guard, Ru Mingyu.

Half way through a scroll, the royal stopped reading and looked to the guard. "I want to know something."

Ru Mingyu turned to him. "Hm?"

"......I...I want to know Yu's heart." The hesitation in his voice was loud.

"What does Your Highness mean?" He knew exactly what he meant, but asked anyway.

The Crown Prince sighed as he didn't think he'd have to explain himself. "I want to know how I could make her open up to me. I don't want her to have to hold herself back."

Ru Mingyu chuckled, "Your Highness, there is no need for such a thing. Just go to her." Assuring the Crown Prince of his worries.

The royal was quite taken aback at this since the answer he needed was so simple. This also made him believe that maybe his guard was just messing with him by telling him to just dive into it.

"What exactly fills your mind?" Ru Mingyu suddenly asked. "What's your purpose to fight?"

Xin Hua's brows pressed together, confused by his question. That is, until he realized it was something he had asked before. "Her........she fills my mind. She is my purpose to fight, someone I want to protect...." His expression held longing and purpose. "She is the one who drives me to do my best not to be the best."

The guard smiled, "Then that is what you should do."
.
.
.