Chapter 39

In the hall of the royal court, Crown Prince Han Yinjie sat adjacent to the throne, and across from him was the empty seat of his brother, the second prince, Han Zhaohui. Silently, he listened to the officials who voiced their concerns amongst another as the king and queen have been missing for quite a long time. The last time they were seen, was well over a year ago in the Jade Palace of the king, leaving the throne vacant as they decided to await their return.

"Everyone, silence!" Crown Prince Han Yinjie shouted causing their talk to die down.

Although hesitant and almost afraid, an official stepped out to stand in the center. "Your Highness," he bowed.

"Speak,"

The man gulped as he eyed the other officials who nodded their heads. "Your Highness, I believe we must summon Prince Han Zhaohui back from the borders concerning the situation. He's resided there far too long as it's been a few years since we've last seen his face."

Han Yinjie's hands that were hidden within his sleeves turned into a fists. An assuring and concerned expression, he stood up and walked to the center to have their attention. "There is no need to worry, everyone. I plan to investigate this matter myself as the king and queen surely must be out there....... Somewhere."

Eventually, the court meeting was over after matters concerning the state of the kingdom were discussed and resolved. Standing alone in the middle of the hall where it was once filled, Crown Prince Han Yinjie's hands were intertwined behind him. His eyes looked upon the throne with what looked like hate.

Entering this space, was Xue clad in a dark blue and white robe as his blade rested at his side. A bow, he greeted the royal he served. "Your Highness," he called as he did this gesture.

"Is everything ready?" he asked his personal guard.

A wide smile, the guard nodded. "Of course, Your Highness."

Han Yinjie grinned as a chuckle followed. Turning around, he then made his way out of the building. "Be sure that they are well taken care of," his gleeful expression prolonged. The way he walked, seemed unworried, as if there was nothing wrong with this world or the matters of the present. As if everything was meant to be.

"You know Xue," the royal spoke. "It is rather a blessing that you and I are not so different. What we take pleasure in, is what others would not enjoy."

Xue followed behind as a smirk came about. "I also agree, Your Highness."

They were like birds of a feather.

It was now past the sleeping hour within the palace of the Sui Kingdom. Within the confines of her quarters, Lian Yu laid in bed awaiting the moment where only a few servants and guards were stationed to monitor her. Slowly, she stood up and got off her bed, not daring to make a sound. Coming to her knees and laying flat on the floor, she reached for the loose floorboard beneath her bed frame and lifted it. Under, revealed some sort of plants she had been growing in secret.

Plucking a few of the matured leaves with her sleeve covering her hand, she came out from under the bed and immediately headed towards the stone grinder and needles that sat in a drawer. Her captors knew of her hobbies, and provided it to ease her boredom without realizing the extent of her abilities.

Placing it on the table, she threw the leaves in and began to grind them. She added water as she did this in order for the liquid within the leaves to become more but made sure to not dilute it so much or else. Once she was done, Lian Yu left to fetch a jar that was already half way filled from this liquid along with smaller ones that contained the same but held what looked like needles.

Pouring what was in the grinder into the jar, she sealed it. Taking the clean needles, she then submerged them into the smaller jars where others lied.

This plant she had been growing, did not require sunlight to thrive as it does not crave it and held secrets like none other. Because of this, she was able to conceal its whereabouts.

As Lian Yu grounded the last few leaves, the memories of that night flooded her mind. She could visibly remember when he suddenly entered her chambers in a haze due to the alcohol. At first he asked about Lian Song before falling apart. On the outside, he showed the world that he knew everything when really, deep down inside he knew nothing and was afraid. He was afraid of being left alone again.

How exactly did this fear of his begin?

It was then she remembered the words she had promised him. Even if he didn't remember or had no recollection of such, she will forever hold them. "I promised you I won't leave so until then....wait for me."

Tightly as she shut those beautiful eyes, they then opened and drifted to the open window that revealed the night sky.

In the main hall of the Jade Palace, the grand doors opened and there entered Crown Prince Han Yinjie. His attire at this late hour was of white with gold embroidery. Following behind into this room, was his personal guard Xue as well who wore matching colors.

A short laugh, Han Yinjie looked through the open doors he came through with awe. "Mother, father.....isn't the night so beautiful?" The first snow has begun.

However, just behind him were the decomposing bodies of them, the king and queen. No answer will ever be given.
.
.
.