Chapter 8

Walking along a barren path where no other was around, was Crown Prince Xin Hua. He was alone and on his way to the Rue Palace as a solemn expression covered his face. The attire he wore was of royal blue and gold embroidery, and an overcoat of the same design that barely hovered over the ground. The long hair he possessed was in a high bun, kept together by a metal pin.

To have long hair wasn't unusual as it is seen as one's pride. It is mainly amongst the nobles and especially the royal family that kept it as such. Whenever the people saw so, it was a powerful figure.

Reaching his destination, Xin Hua stood before the grand doors of where the king, his father resided. The servant looked at him, awaiting for if he was ready to be announced. Without even needing to turn her way, he nodded. And so, the female servant announced his presence. "Your Majesty, the Crown Prince has arrived upon your request." He was called to meet with his father.

King Xin Chao responded with his deep voice, "Let him in."

The door opened and shut as steps followed. They continued until he reached his father and bowed for greetings and respect. "Greetings, father." Xin Hua spoke.

"Do you know why I called for you to meet me?" questioning his son.

Eyes to the floor and without expression, Xin Hua's lips parted. "No, I do not."

The king simply sighed, "You mustn't be so ignorant of the Crown Princess. She is to be by your side." He's been trying to have him not behave so for a while already, and yet he still does not listen. No matter what, fate could not be denied or changed.

Xin Hua's gaze fell into a glare, "I'm sorry father, but I cannot do such a thing." denying Lian Yu as his partner. "The only Crown Princess I know, is Lian Song."

At this, the king's hand touched the bridge of his nose."Lian Yu is your Crown Princess not Lian Song." he stated.

"No," the Crown Prince firmly said. "You say that yet why, why are there two Crown Princesses if the title is sacred?" secrets that he has not learned of.

Turning away, the king gave a troubled look as he could not tell him everything just yet. "I cannot answer that."

Bitterly, Xin Hua's brows pressed together, "If you cannot answer me, then I will continue to deny her." and with that, he left without any other words.

Once the doors shut and steps faded, King Xin Chao released a long deep breath. "There were never two, only one."

Alone in her chambers, was Crown Princess Lian Yu as she pressed flowers. It was a hobby of hers' she had picked up when she was younger while studying the various medicinal herbs. One could even say she learned botany as her knowledge in herbs became wider than any of her siblings. In the process of her study, on the side she would attain the art of pressing flowers, something a worker at the clinic taught her.

As Lian Yu took a baby's breath that had already been prepared, she placed it in the melted resin along with the other flowers. These blossoms consisted of geraniums, vinca minor, and clovers. They grew commonly among the palace grounds, especially clovers since nothing could stop them from where they want to sprout.

Placing the last piece, she now poured the rest of the melted resin on top, finishing it. Now, all she had to do was wait for it to cool off and dry. This took at least 24 hours to dry and at most 72 hours.

A deep breath, Lian Yu set everything aside as she stretched her arms. Not too long after, she stood and began to organize everything. Taking the pressed flowers, she stored them back into the wooden box where she always kept them. It's always best to store them in a cool place, away from the sun's touch. If not, the color of the blossom could fade.

With that done, she now stood for a second before those eyes of her looked to the side and at that wall. There was not even a second, she didn't think of the journal in that hidden space. It was almost as though it were haunting her. As though it wanted her to look beyond the cover.

Slowly, the Crown Princess's legs brought her to that hidden opening. Pushing the table that stood before it aside, her hands reached to pull the white string, opening it. There, laid the journal and taking it into her hands she shut the opening as she made her way to the table and sat.

Lian Yu simply looked upon it for a short while, deciding whether or not she should go beyond that cover. She didn't know what could lie ahead. However, despite the hesitation her hands finally flipped to the first page.

Those beautiful phoenix eyes became glued to the journal as she read.

"It's strange to be in this place, her place. However, I need to do so in order to find someone. If I could find them I could find the answers to the questions that raise higher and higher with each passing day."

This handwriting was one she recognized all too well.  

"The palace that used to look like nothing but the gardens and ranks of people, became an unfamiliar place. It's as though I never knew anything and only the painting shown to everyone."

It was then after reading that last sentence did her gray-like eyes with a hint of green, widen. What she had suspected, was true.

"~ Lian Song, eldest daughter of Clan Leader Lian Gen"

This journal belonged to her deceased sister, Lian Song. 

The young woman's breaths became heavy and expression distraught as she quickly shut the journal. She didn't know what to think or what to do exactly with this discovery. Moreover, why did she decide to keep a record of her time and hide it?

Gaze turning to that booklet, she took it immediately and placed it back in that space where it had come from. Although what she had just read overwhelmed her, she knew she had to keep it close and hidden like it always was.

"......What exactly happened during her stay in the palace?"
.
.
.