Chapter 54

There was just a day left before they are finally home. And still awake as everyone laid dead asleep was Crown Princess Lian Yu. In the carriage where she was to sleep, she laid there in thought. A few minutes passing, she then pushed herself up to stand and peaked out the window. There were a few soldiers who were still awake due to a rotation shift for keeping watch. Despite this, she quietly opened the door of the carriage and snuck away into the woods. She wanted be alone and away from everyone for a while even though they were asleep.

Alone, she settled to lean against a tree and looked up to the night sky. A light sigh, her head lowered. There was obviously something on her mind to keep her awake, and it was certainly not small matter. She even began to play with her fingers as she twirled them in a circular manner.

"Yu?"

Hearing her name, she quickly turned towards the person who spoke. Coming closer, it was Ru Mingyu and it was likely that he was awake to keep watch as well. Lian Yu chuckled, causing a brow to raise on the man.

Now by her side, he looked at her with question. "Are you alright?" There must be a reason why she decided to wander off at this late hour.

She laughed at his question as though it were absurd. "Of course I am. Everyone is safe."

Something was not right and it raised questions in Ru Mingyu. "If there's anything wrong, please tell me. I'm here."

"How do you think the divine tree is doing?" Lian Yu seemed to disregard his words with the sudden change in topic.

Ru Mingyu found it strange as to why his friend was speaking in such a manner. However, he did not want to press on and put it off as a result of what happened to her. "I believe it is still holding onto life."

Her eyes lowered with a smile. "I hope that I can see the green leaves and not the black ones." The darkened leaves that only held despair and no future.

A frowned smile, Ru Mingyu then turned to look at the sky. "So do I."

Arriving to the capital where the palace resided, the streets crowded with the people who bowed at their presence. They did not know of the real truth behind their departure but they did know that the imposter Crown Prince of the Sui Kingdom dared to kidnap their kingdom's Crown Princess. Their gesture, was not only for respect but to welcome their return.

Looking out the window, Crown Princess Lian Yu saw the townsfolk, whose eyes were to the ground and not at her. Then, she looked at the many shops that lined up together before smiling to herself. At long last, she was now home.

The grand gates of the palace opened as they entered and the soldiers present bowed. It was also with their presence, that one of the Commanders who were stationed at the gates alerted a soldier to report to the king of their awaited return.

With the Crown Princess back at her Peach Palace, the sons of the Three Great Noble Clans and the Crown Prince, now stood in the hall of the royal court. They were ordered to meet with King Xin Chao.

Their wait for the king was not long as the sound of footsteps approached. The door opening, he entered and the four young men bowed to him. The man of high power nodded at their gesture as he came before them with three attendants following behind with items they held.

"I was not suppose to give these to you until you become the next leaders of your clan but," he looked to Lian Zhong. "I've decided that with your actions you are deserving to receive them early." Although Lian Zhong is already the next leader of his clan, how he ascended to his position was not a usual one due to the death of his parents. The custom is that the current Clan Leader steps down from his title and formally passes it onto their successor. With this, the king will present them a gift for their upcoming.

Taking the item from one of the attendants, the king presented it to Lian Zhong who bowed seeing that he would be the first to receive his gift. His hands were outstretched as well so that he could receive it.

"Lian Zhong, you may stand. There's no need for such a thing when it is a gift." King Xin Chao assured him. If he was being honest, he saw them as his children as well because he watched them as they grew with his son. As for the king, he and the Clan Leaders of his generation were close; although the same couldn't exactly be said for their children.

Standing straight, Lian Zhong held out his hands once again. With his change of stance, the king placed it in his grasp. "Although your father was not much of a fighter, he still had a sword." He spoke as the young man looked upon it with wonder in his eyes. "I hope that you can be the one to utilize it to its potential, that has been locked away for many years."

Lian Zhong bowed earnestly, "Thank you, Your Majesty." It was likely also the last thing his father ever gave him as well.

Taking another item from an attendant, he now stood before Yuan Shan. "As for you, it was quite difficult I must say. The Yuan Clan are very great with their words and the knowledge they hold." he subtly chuckled. He then showed him his gift. "I believe that this compass of gold will lead you to many great happenings."

Compasses were not very common as it had come from the nations beyond the seas, and it was mainly those of the royal family that were able to obtain them. "Thank you, Your Majesty." it was the grandest gift he had ever received.

Now, only Ru Mingyu remained of the Three Great Noble Clans' sons. Taking the last item, the king asked him a question first. "I know your position of being my son's guard was only temporary, but would you like to hold the honor of being so until your last breath?"

Ru Mingyu was taken aback by King Xin Chao's words, causing him to not think straight for a moment. Sure, there were times that he thought he wasn't needed since the Crown Prince was already a skilled fighter himself. However, he knows that if he weren't by his side he would have never been able to save the lives of the innocent.

Coming to his knees, the young man has found his purpose. "Your Majesty, I know that I do not need to do this but I want to. I shall accept being His Highness's guard until my last breath. I want to protect the person the people look to when trouble comes their way, and be among the many who help him doing so."

The king couldn't help but faintly smile. "Please rise,"

Ru Mingyu rose at his command and now standing, the king pinned the gift onto the young man's robes. "With the insignia of the vermillion bird on you, the world shall know you as the grand guard of the Crown Prince." And only one person could ever wear such a thing.

Ru Mingyu bowed once more as the others followed, showing their gratitude of the gifts they were given.

Once all was done, the three attendants guided the three sons of the Great Clans out of the hall. Seeing this, Xin Hua decided he was to leave as well.

"Hua," his father called.

Stopping in his tracks, the Crown Prince turned to the king. "Yes, father?" coming back to him.

"Do you know why you weren't given a gift?"

This confused him in a way, as the answer was already clear. "Because it is only those of the Three Great Noble Clans who receive a gift from the king when they ascend to their respective titles."

"Your gift has always been by your side." King Xin Chao told him. "The Crown Prince's greatest, if not his most grand gift is his partner, the Crown Princess."

Beneath that calm facade of his, this made Xin Hua quite flustered. "I know that very well already." he then quickly turned to leave.

Just watching his son's rushed exit, King Xin Chao laughed. "He's finally found her or rather, he's finally looked her way." All in spite of his words towards her at the beginning.
.
.
.