Chapter 31

That cold body of hers laid there motionless, as the servants clothed her in the finest robes. No one ever thought that such a day like this would come so soon and at such a young age.

Princess Xin Lan was the last daughter of King Xin Chao. This now left Crown Prince Xin Hua as his only blood left. Fate was cruel against those of the royal family.

Pleading his innocence, Prince Ren Huiliang shouted relentlessly despite how dried his throat was. "It wasn't me! It is those men. They are the ones responsible."

Suddenly, the doors swung open.

Filled with grief at his sister's death, Crown Prince Xin Hua couldn't allow it to overtake him. Once again, he read the journal hoping to find any clues as to who is responsible for everything. To take a royal's life, showed they were no longer going to be lenient.

Flipping the page, he read its contents. Eventually, a brow rose confused by what was written. Turning back to the previous page, he realized that nothing connected the two and how the information seemed have abruptly stopped. The page before spoke of how Lian Song has found the truth and the one behind everything, but the next page, held goodbyes.

Taking a closer look, he carefully inspected the journal to see what it was that was not right. Then, he noticed small pieces of ripped paper that bordered these two pages. He could tell that this tear was recent.

"Ru Mingyu," he called his guard who stood outside on the patio.

Coming in, he gave a short bow. "Yes, Your Highness?"

The Crown Prince showed him the ripped section of the journal, "Did you, or anyone tear a page out during our meeting?"

"That's also something I've been curious about. I noticed them during the meeting after Lian Zhong handed it to me." He didn't know how to bring it up since the royal may have been the one who did it, and did not want to question his actions.

Brows scrunched as he fell into thought, Xin Hua then had a name come to mind. "We must see Huiliang," it was like he realized something. "Now!"

Those eyes of his were shaking and in shock at the sight before him. The person standing in front of him was gone for months, another he had been speaking to behind a frame, and another who saved his life.

"Lady Yuan Li? Your Highness?......" his eyes then drifted to the third person. "What is going on? And why are they both here in the same room?!" Prince Ren Huiliang shouted at the man whose face was covered by a mask.

The man laughed with glee as Yuan Li stood stricken with fear. She had gotten noticeably slimmer and her face looked quite hollow and dull. Trying to keep a composed expression, Crown Princess Lian Yu held the Lady's hand trying to ease her frightened state.

Taking off his mask, he unveiled his true self as his laughter came to an end. "Yes, I am His Highness's aid, Xue."

Words couldn't comprehend what he was trying to say this very moment. Stammering, he scoffed in refusal of what he was seeing. "How could you do this? HOW COULD YOU BETRAY THE FOUR KINGDOMS?!" he yelled in fury. "What is it exactly that you are trying to do by bringing them two before me?! What is it that you are trying to achieve with this?"

"This is your last chance, Your Highness. Join us." Xue told him.

"No,"

A fake, saddened expression covered his face as he clicked his tongue, "Oh no no no no......that's a shame." He motioned for Yuan Li to step forward and Lian Yu to stand behind him. "Her Highness will be coming with me, and Lady Yuan Li will return."

The prince was baffled by his words, "No, you cannot do that Xue," he denied his actions. "Taking her could ruin everything!"

His lips curled into a smirk as the sound of footsteps approaching entered his ears. Looking to the doors, Xue chuckled. "Right on time, Your Highness."

Entering, the doors slammed open to reveal Crown Prince Xin Hua and his personal guard, Ru Mingyu with heavy breaths. They ran from the Vermillion Palace to the chambers the foreign prince resided within at a small palace that was usually reserved for guests. Expression darkening, the royal was in disbelief at the sight before him.

Shamelessly, Xue bowed, "Crown Prince Han Yinjie's right-hand greets Your Highness, Crown Prince Xin Hua." It was the Sui Kingdom all along that was behind everything.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Xin Hua yelled. Quickly, his gaze averted to Lian Yu, filled with worry as his suppressed anguish began to overtake him.

The joy on Xue's face prolonged, seeing everything unfold. He knew the Xie Crown Prince would be in such a state once he realized everything, and it made him happy. Everything that he's been doing, was not only for the wishes of the Crown Prince he served but for his own pleasure.

The look on Xin Hua's face was wrenching. "Lian Yu, get away from him..... Come to me." he asked of her.

The Crown Princess couldn't look him in the eyes, and turned her gaze to the floor as she backed away further. His expression only became more distraught by her actions. "What are you doing?" his voice was beginning to shake.

"We are trading Lady Yuan Li for Crown Princess Lian Yu." spoke Xue.

This made things harder. Who is it that the Crown Prince is going to save? The woman who vanished or the woman he vowed to protect?

Conflicted and as was Ru Mingyu and Prince Ren Huiliang, Xin Hua eventually made his decision, even though he didn't want to. "......Lian Yu, come to me."

Brows pressing together, she finally looked his way as tears shed. "I need to save Li." voice breaking.

Without his knowledge, liquid filled his vision. Words in a blur, he became more desperate than ever. "No no no.....I need," he paused. "I want you to come here. I want you by my side!" He was falling apart. He couldn't bear to loose another person, better yet someone he came to know and understand.

Hand already on the hilt of his blade, Xue eyed Ru Mingyu's movements like a hawk. Pulling out his own sword, he pointed it to Yuan Li's neck. She became anxious with it just centimeters away from her skin. "Unsheathe your blade and this woman's life shall end." He was never one to hesitate especially when taking a life. There was never a shred of remorse nor pity in any of his actions.

This made Ru Mingyu's hand withdraw from his blade as he didn't want someone he's known his whole life to be gone. "You can't do anything anyways, you're surrounded after all." There were more imposters than one could imagine. And how long they've been watched, was not known.

Jerking his head, Xue motioned for the Crown Princess to follow him. This only triggered the Crown Prince to lunge forward in an attempt to grab her but was stopped by a flying object. Movements at a halt, his hand reached for his shoulder that had been penetrated by a needle. The moment he realized this, he dropped to his knees before hitting the floorboard.

Unsheathing his sword, Ru Mingyu was also put to a stop along with the others present. The needles were coated with a sleep inducing liquid, and it's effects were instant.

"Your Highness, we must go." Xue urged her, whose eyes were still on the Crown Prince.

A deep breath she then left with the man, but looking back once more she met eyes with him. Trying to fight the drug, he called her name. "Lian Yu....."

Eyes shutting, she was no longer within his sight.
.
.
.