Chapter 41

It was a silent night as everyone laid asleep in their respective quarters. The once clear pavements were now covered by the winter snow, and along them were a group of individuals who walked in silence. Clad in black and bearing the masks of demons, their moments were filled with nothingness. Suddenly, they came to a stop and the person at the front and center turned his head left and right, eyeing those behind him as if he were sending a message. Nodding their heads, they then parted ways and left to wherever it was they were to be.

Finishing the last bit of writing on a book of medical practices, the woman set down her brush and blew out the candle beside her to go to sleep. Slipping into her white night gown, she went to the window right by her mattress and cracked it open to allow some fresh air to flow in.

Making her way to bed, she then noticed something on the floor. Coming to her knees, she picked up what looked to be a plum blossom. How did it end up here when she had never picked one nor grew any?

Rising up to stand, she went along her way. However, walking the same steps was someone behind her and feeling their presence, she stopped. Slowly turning around, her eyes saw the individual's shoes before gradually meeting eyes. Frozen in fear, the woman trembled as she did not even notice him entering her quarters.

Mouth gaping and about to scream, her eyes widened. Coughing, she fell to floor with hands at her neck that were becoming drowned in blood and trying to stop its flow. One last time, she looked at the man responsible with her face becoming paler and paler.

Trying to crawl away despite it being impossible, the man stalked her like a predator with his blade that dripped of fresh blood. She was leaving a trail as well. At the doors, she seemed to have a glimmer of hope as she could call the servants for help. However, upon sliding that door open, she was met with the floor stained a shade of red and a pair of shoes before her. Looking up, it was another individual who wore the same demon mask.

Although her vocal cords had been severed, she spoke in a broken voice. "Help!....Me!"

The two masked individuals only looked on without any trace of sympathy nor guilt as they both raised their blades and plunged it into her helpless body. An exasperated and silent scream, her eyes became bloodshot before hitting her head against the floorboard.

Awakened by the loud steps and shouts of a servant, King Xin Chao of the Xie Kingdom who laid sleeping in fine silk, awakened. Reaching the door to his chambers, the servant entered without permission. Coming to his knees, he spoke, "Your Majesty, I am terribly sorry to enter without your word but something has happened!" he notified.

Standing, the king came before the servant. "Speak,"

His next words, only brought upon devastation.

Passing through the corridors was a female servant, Jie. Having been asked to collect certain items, she did as asked and was now bringing them to that person. Upon reaching that place she was headed to, it was revealed to be the quarters that Crown Princess Lian Yu of the Xie Kingdom was confined to.

Checking to see if anyone was around, she did so as to not bring any unnecessary trouble to herself and that woman. Seeing that the coast was clear, she continued on. Standing at the doors, she announced herself. "Miss, it is I, Jie. I've brought the items you asked for."

"Please enter," Lian Yu permitted.

The door sliding open and shut, the servant came before her with the bag that contained it. "Thank you," the woman with beautiful eyes expressed her gratitude as always.

A short bow, "You're welcome." it was still strange whenever the woman thanked her.

Pulling out the items, they were scrolls and their contents were not known. It was probably something that had been on Lian Yu's mind and decided to ask for such a thing.

Hesitant, Jie who had been holding a question for a while spoke. "Miss, I've been wondering but.....who are you?" No information about her was ever given to the servants besides those who worked under Crown Prince Han Yinjie.

At her question, Lian Yu seemed to fall into thought as she tried to think of what to say. ".......I guess you can say that I was once a lost person."

"What do you mean?"

Lian Yu lightly chuckled, "I used to not know where I belonged and as a result was lost. I didn't know what my purpose was to live." Her eyes then lowered with a hint of gleam. "However, upon meeting this certain individual, it was then I knew where and what exactly I am supposed to be doing."

Expression soft with a dear smile, Jie suddenly bowed with her head touching the floor. This action of hers shocked the woman as she came before her to try and get the servant to stand. "Please, there is no need for such a thing."

Jie remained as she was. "I know it may have been quite an intrusive question to ask," referring to wanting to know about her. "But to know your name and your background is not important. However, upon meeting you, I was able to see just how much you were holding inside the moment I saw your eyes. At first, I thought they were nothing more than the darkness and the flicker of light behind them. But a closer look, it was then I understood that there was more to your story. I saw an enchanted being spread her wings to bring upon the cleansing rain."

Listening to her, made the expression on her face turn rather shocked as she wasn't expecting so. She didn't think that this person was so perceptive to her surroundings and especially those she encounters.

Coming to her feet, Jie then grabbed Lian Yu's hands with a gentle grip. "If you should be from another kingdom or country, I will without a doubt devote my loyalty to you." This was a very promising action an individual could ever do in the Sui Kingdom. Loyalty is seen as the highest form of gratitude and if a person ever did give it, that was because they saw something no one else did.

Lian Yu couldn't help but feel relaxed as she turned the woman's hand to show her palm. Her hand coming over hers, the royal thanked her. "May Her Divine Goddess Daiyu, guide you towards bliss."
.
.
.