Chapter 71

Years passed and with this, the remnants of Han Yinjie's followers no longer haunted the Four Kingdoms. The then Crown Prince Xin Hua was now the king, as his father stepped down from his position just a few years ago. And the remainder of the heirs of the Three Great Noble Clans ascended to their position.

The Four Kingdoms have since then been prospering.

Running around the palace, a teenage boy evaded the servants and other palace workers he ran past. Of course, he apologized as he did this since he was causing a disturbance to them. From time to time, the boy would look back before turning forward. But he eventually came to a stop when a voice entered his ears.

"What are you doing?"

Frozen in his tracks, the teenager looked to the individual who spoke to him. Realizing who it is, he gave a short bow, "Greetings, father."

It was King Xin Hua and accompanying him was the head of the royal guards and Clan Leader, Ru Mingyu. This group was dedicated to protecting the royal family.

Quickly looking back, Crown Prince Xin Shiying bowed again. "I'm sorry father but I must get going. I hope you have a great day!" and with that, he went off running.

Puzzled, the king raised a brow. The head of the royal guards who had been looking elsewhere then gave light to the royal's confusion. "Your Majesty, it seems that Clan Leader Lian Zhong's son, Lian Liwei has some matters to settle with him."

Hearing this, Xin Hua turned in the direction his guard was looking and approaching was Lian Liwei. Once he was before the two, the boy bowed with respects. "Greetings Your Majesty and Clan Leader Ru Mingyu." He is just a few months older than the Crown Prince he is chasing.

The moment his words finished, he too went along his way. Watching as he ran after his son, the king lightly chuckled. "He's very upright."

Ru Mingyu nodded, "Indeed, Your Majesty. Being the oldest, Lian Liwei is always tasked with looking after his younger siblings and even the other children of the Three Great Noble Clans. However, I should also include His Highness, the Crown Prince."

This made King Xin Hua smile as he began walking with the Clan Leader following. "When is your wife due?"

"Just a few more weeks." Ru Mingyu responded. This will be his second child.

"You know, you settled down rather late compared to Lian Zhong and Yuan Shan." Thinking about it, he saw it as quite a funny thing.

The head of the royal guards chuckled. "Well in truth I shouldn't even be married at all. It is the part of the rules that those of the royal guards cannot have a partner or children."

"But you must remember that your blood is special, Ru Mingyu. Not only that, you are the only son and child of your father. Exceptions must be made." reminding him that his role is far more important than the rules.

"As a matter of fact, all of our blood is special." Xin Hua concluded.

It was getting late as darkness soon took over. King Xin Hua was nowhere to be found in his chambers of the Rue Palace, leading Clan Leader Ru Mingyu to find him. And already guessing where he could be, he made his way there.

He hasn't set foot in this place for quite a while but every time he did, he was always reminded of that day. Seemingly hesitant, Ru Mingyu went forward and as he got closer he could see the king standing alone at the bridge of solitude.

Now by his side, the head of the royal guards looked at the king with ponder. "Are you thinking about her?"

Looking at the koi pond below, Xin Hua spoke but did not answer his question. "You know, when I first saw Lian Song, I fell in love that very moment. As for Yu, I didn't and instead grew to love her. Then the events that followed made me realize that I never in fact loved Lian Song. I was in love with the thought of her." his words trailed before continuing. ".......I was so desperate to find affection that the moment I saw her, I became attached despite not knowing her. But Yu, she was different. We grew together, and she showed me what love was. Love is not what you see but what you feel...... She was the rain on my withering days, bringing me back to life."