Compulsion: Part One

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." – Albert Einstein

The more time you spend at the BAU, the more you feel like you're a part of the family. However, unlike your teammates, you don't have experience in other sections like Elle does with sex offenders, and how the academy had to use special exceptions just to let Spencer in. Everyone had history elsewhere, whereas you didn't. Everyone was still on edge from you being with them, mostly because you knew they were freaked about the things you can do.

Spencer was the only person who was actually trying to see things your way, and even then, it was a touchy subject.

Gideon put you right across from Spencer which was kind of a good and bad thing. Ever since you two talked on the plane about your abilities a week ago, something happened. Nothing verbal occurred, but you could feel it in the air around you two. It was a good thing that Gideon put you across from Spencer since you two worked well together, but it was a bad thing since your crush on him grew. He was the perfect man for you, and you weren't even looking.

"You ever play chess?" he asked you as he stared at the chess board while Gideon talked to some people in his office.

He stared down the barrel of a gun while confronting the Footpath Killer at a gas station. Gideon seemed fine about it, but you could feel the fear and panic coming from his office. Maybe it was coming from the three guests that were in there, but you knew some of it was coming from him.

"Yes, once," you said without taking your eyes off the office door.

Elle was in there right now, and the three other guests left the room.

"Want to play sometime?"

"I'd beat you on the first try."

"You seem overly confident," he chuckled.

"I tap into human emotions and energies, Spencer. That won't allow me to lose. I stopped playing when my uncle threw a fit every time I beat him. But if you don't mind losing, then sure," you grinned, tearing your eyes from the office to look into his.

He had a playful glint in his eyes, but he went back to playing by himself. The door to his office opened, and he came walking out as if he was in a rush somewhere. He passed by Spencer's desk but stopped when he saw the chess board. He picked up a piece and moved it to an empty spot on the board.

"Checkmate in three moves."

"What?" Spencer gasped, looking at the board to see what he missed.

"You know, you'll beat him when you start learning," Derek said, putting down the newspaper in his hands.

"Learning what?"

"To think outside the box."

"Question for you," Elle said as she came down the stairs to the bullpen.

"Don't worry, Spencer. You'll beat him one day," you chuckled.

"Shoot."

"The Footpath Killer. Why did he stutter?"

"Come on, Elle, we've all asked him, and he won't say. He wants us to figure it out," Derek sighed.

"I haven't asked him."

"I can tell you exactly what he's going to say."

"Okay. I'm up for a challenge," Elle chuckled, leaning on the edge of your desk.

"Good, because these go to you," a blonde woman said, placing a pile of files on your desk. "Special agent Jennifer Jareau, JJ if you like."

"Elle."