Riding the Lightning: Part Two

The couple's house hasn't been treated well. It has so much graffiti and damage that the city had to put a chain-link fence around the place to keep trespassers away. However, if more came, it wouldn't make much of a difference. The place is so badly damaged, you're shocked it's still standing. This place holds a lot of memories, and none of them are good.

This used to be a good house–you can see it. Years of ignored care left it in the state it's in. The outside walls used to be bright white but now are a dirty color. The wood is falling apart at the base of the house. The windows are smashed and shattered, so to keep people out of the house, they board it up haphazardly.

"Jacob's workshop is out the back," Derek says.

"I don't know about this place, Derek. I have a really bad feeling," you say with an uneasy feeling.

Derek leads you onto the property and towards the back. The closer you get to the place where his workshop used to be, the more the uneasy feeling comes back. All that's left back there is just dirt, but you can clearly see the workshop as if it were standing right now. Everything is perfectly clear as to what used to be here.

"He claimed that Sarah Jean would lure the victims from mall parking lots. She'd invite them to smoke pot in her truck. They'd find Jacob but no pot. They'd bring them here."

"This is where the workshop stood," you state, looking around as if it were actually here.

"What do you see?"

"It's a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be. It's big enough to not warrant concerns from anyone else but small enough to hide away from the street's view. It looks homey like a guest house, but not too scary to throw off any of the people who passed by the house on a daily basis. There are high cabinets with a ton of tools inside like a mechanic would have. There are some tools hanging on the far wall, a few desks around, and a big bench saw," you whisper fearfully when you see what's on it.

Right on the blade is red liquid, and you know it's blood.

"The blade has a ton of blood on it. He used it to cut up his victims," you say.

As you get out the last word, you see a mystified version of Jacob standing by the saw with one of his faceless victims on the table. She is squirming, but he cuts her up anyway. Sarah Jean is nowhere to be found, but you have a feeling that she didn't know he did this to these poor girls. Killing, maybe, but killing them this way, absolutely not. Sarah Jean was a victim herself–and she still is.

"I can't look at this anymore," you whisper and look away from the crime scene that's no longer there.

"We know that Jacob was abused as a child. What about Sarah Jean?" Derek asks.

"Her mother refused to give any testimony in her defense. She never talked to anybody," you state.

When you look back at Derek, the workshop had disappeared. Your mind is focused on something else, so it doesn't have the energy to conjure up what was, but instead, focuses on what is.

"Maybe she's willing to talk now. Let's go pay Sarah Jean's mother a visit."

"Despite what happened, she doesn't live far. It's within walking distance."

"I wonder why she didn't move halfway around the world."

"She's a mother, Derek. A Mother doesn't abandon her children," you say with sadness.

"You say that like you know that. Do you have children?"

"No."

You don't say anything more on the matter, not like you would if you could. Your past promised to stay in the past, so there is no use in digging up things that have been locked away for almost a decade now. You two quickly head over to Sarah Jean's mother's house to see if she'll talk to you now.