The Tribe: Part Three

Author's Note: This episode deals with a lot of Native American talk/history/etc. I am not familiar with this topic at all, so I kind of used the slang/language/information that was given in the show. If I offend anyone or get something wrong, please let me know so I can change it :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Half of your team went to get Minton, and when they brought him in, it was only you and Hotch inside the office. You don't want to pressure him, which is why you opted for a more casual setting. Plus, he came here voluntarily and he can leave any time he wants.

"Mr. Minton, do you have any idea who might be behind these killings?" Hotch begins.

"Indians have a history of violent behavior, especially the Apaches. Did you know that they used to kill white settlers, decapitate the bodies, and put their victim's heads on wooden pikes outside their houses?"

"That's a long time ago. You still seem pretty upset about it," you note.

"That was the other night. My family has been dealing with the Apache for a hundred and fifty years."

"You know your rhetoric sounds just hateful enough to justify violence."

"We don't need to stoop to their level. We're fighting the Indians in court."

"Is that right? Then, why all the guns, Roy? Our record shows that your two hundred members carry over four hundred and fifty firearms," you say and lean back in your chair.

"We're simply exercising our constitutional right on the second amendment. We have the right to defend ourselves."

"Four hundred and fifty guns, Roy. I don't think so. That's not self-defense. That's plain paranoia."

"Not anymore. I think I want to go home."

Roy gets out of his chair, and you just sigh. You got nothing off the man. If he is hiding something, he is doing a damn good job at hiding it. You'd think with this much paranoia coming off him, you might be able to get something, but it's too much for you to sift through and pick out how much is just anxiety and how much of it is guilt.

He leaves the room, and Hotch escorts him out of the police station. You get up and join Hotch with the others once Minton is gone.

"I couldn't get anything off him. He's got so much paranoia that it's hard to determine how much of it is guilt," you say.

"If Minton is as fanatical as he pretends to be, he wouldn't file lawsuits or organize labor unions," Derek states.

"The Indians are keeping Minton and the members of the ADU from making a lot of money on the development and construction of the Apache land."

"I agree. He's using racist ideology to cover simple greed. Sheriff, I'd like you to put Minton under surveillance," Gideon gently orders.

"You think he's guilty?"

"Not likely, but we've just given Minton reason to believe that some faction of the ADU may have taken matters into their own hands, and Minton may lead us to them."

Your phone rings, and when you see that it's Penelope calling, you answer it immediately.

"Hey Pen, what do you got?"

"I have an NCIC hit on one of the prints on the sliding glass door. Ingrid Greisen, nineteen years old, and family moved her here two years ago from Texas where they require fingerprints for driver's license applications. She wasn't among the victims on the scene."