Broken Mirror: Part One

"When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him." - Euripides

Thinking about going on a date with Spencer is way different than actually doing it. Gideon got you two the good seats even if it is a first come first serve. However, you made sure to arrive early enough to get a seat by the exit so you didn't have to waste time just sitting around while everyone else leaves. Gideon picked a good day as well since they were playing a two special horror movies, Psycho and The Shining. Spencer hadn't seen either of them, but you have and you knew you would have a good time.

"Okay, I got literally every sweet thing they had," you announced, climbing into the bed of your truck. Spencer didn't have a car since he preferred to take public transportation to work. Sometimes you would be his ride if he asked for it, so it was natural that you two take your car. It was better anyway since you had a 4x4 off road truck with a comfortable bed if you laid down blankets and pillows, which you did. Spencer leaned on the back of the truck as you sat next to him, handing him the candy he requested.

"I didn't know you liked sweet stuff."

"Sweetheart, my whole life revolves around sugar," you chuckled, pausing when you realize what you just said. "Sorry."

"What are you sorry for?"

"For calling you sweetheart. It just came out," you chuckled nervously.

"It's okay. I like it," he smiled.

"Great, okay," you immediately felt better.

"So, what do we do here?"

"You've never been to a drive-in theater before?"

"Never."

"Well, some people stay inside the car with the windows rolled down, but that's only if they have a bench for a seat so they can sit really close to each other. I don't have that so I chose the bed. We can sit anywhere we want," you began to demonstrate by moving all around the trunk to show him before settling right... next... to... him, "even here." You go to move, but he placed a hand on your shoulder to stop you.

"You can stay here if you want."

"Oh, okay, sure," you cleared your throat, trying to get the awkwardness out of the way. It was clear Spencer didn't do this too often which was fine, but you wanted to move past the awkward phase.

"Aren't these movies two hours long each?"

"Yeah, or more, which I don't know why Gideon thought getting us tickets for this day was a smart idea. He knows I fall asleep during movies all the time."

"How do you know Gideon?" he asked. Your intentions were to lean against the car, but you shifted too much and ended up against his side, which he didn't seem to care. Opening the bag of candy you got, you popped one in your mouth and chewed.

"He was the lead agent on my case," you finished once you swallowed.

"What do you mean?"

"My sister was murdered by her boss since he kept harassing her at work and she would always deny him. He was the one who helped me through losing her. I mean, she wasn't my blood sister since my parents were fostering a bunch of kids, but she was my sister. The man killed himself before Gideon and his team could get to him, but at least we know he did it. He had the whole plan and more laid out at his apartment."

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know," he said quietly.

"You couldn't have. It's fine. The more I talk about it, the less it hurts. I was the one who led Gideon to his apartment since I saw the whole thing after it happened. After that, Gideon and I stayed in touch and would occasionally ask me for help on cases. It's why he wanted me to join the BAU."