L.D.S.K.: Part One

"The irrationality of a thing is not an argument against its existence, rather, a condition of it." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"I know you want to help, and I greatly appreciate it, but we have rules to follow. We work as a team instead of getting angry and lashing out like you did with Evan Davenport. There are certain ways we handle situations like those, and yours certainly wasn't one of them," Hotch explains sternly.

He didn't get a chance after the case to talk to you about what happened before, so he's doing it now. You know what you did was wrong, but it's very frustrating having your abilities. Most everyone doesn't believe in what you can do, even if you present solid evidence.

"I understand, and I'm sorry for what I did. It's just very frustrating when I see or hear something, and no one even listens to me. All my life, I've had people tell me that what I can do isn't real. They dismiss what I have to say because they don't understand it. Due to that, people get hurt or worse. I'm sorry, Hotch, truly I am. It's just frustrating sometimes."

"I understand that. We'll try to understand it if you can try to learn what it's like to be part of this team."

"I promise I will."

"Good," he nods once and reaches for a file on his desk.

You take that cue to leave his office to avoid some awkward goodbye. Gideon is approaching the office from down the hallway, and he stops you by placing a hand on your shoulder.

"You'll fit in soon enough. Don't let Hotch scare you."

"Don't worry, Jason, he isn't," you chuckle and head towards the stairs.

The desks around yours are empty as their occupants are elsewhere in the building. The only person you know that's around is JJ, and she's getting coffee for herself. She looks up when you take a seat, and she quickly heads over.

"So, I hear you and Spencer went on another date."

"Yeah, we did," you blush.

"That's all I get? What happened? Where did he take you?"

You love how close you two are becoming, and you only hope you get that way with Penelope and Elle.

"We saw another movie, but this time, it was in Russian with no subtitles. I didn't know a single word they were saying, but it made Spencer happy. That's all that really matters," you chuckle.

"You really like him, huh?" she grins.

"Yeah, kind of. It's still very new, but I'm excited to see where it goes."

"Two dates is a big deal. That means he likes you enough to take you out again."

"Where is he anyway? He's usually here at this time."

"He's with Hotch down at the shooting range. There's one in the basement. He has his firearms qualification tomorrow morning."

"I just spoke to Hotch in his office."

"He left soon after you did," she informs and leaves your desk.

You get up and head to the elevator. Once you're inside, you push the button that will take you to the basement. Your father taught you everything you need to know about guns, and it's gotten you this far in life. It's what made you pass the academy with flying colors. That, and you were super smart. Not as smart as Spencer, though.

Once inside the basement, you can hear a gun go off three times. You follow the noise into a room where Hotch and Spencer are. Spencer has on goggles and earmuffs to block out the sound while Hotch only has goggles on. Spencer puts down the gun to see where the bullets land and sigh. Based on his reaction, it wasn't good.