Natural Born Killer: Part One

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough, and liked it, never really care for anything else." - Ernest Hemingway

"Did you really make this yourself?" you ask Penelope as you take another bite of ice cream.

You're sitting with her in her office since you wanted to spend more time with her. You're done with your paperwork, so you opted to hang with her until you got a case.

"I did. Glad you like it," she grins.

You don't really know how to approach the subject to her; Spencer is one of her good friends. If you ask the wrong question or say the wrong thing, she could blab to him about what you're about to ask her. It's best you just come out and say it.

"So, you and Spencer are good friends, huh?"

"Yeah. He's the first person I met when I started."

"Does he ever talk about me?" you ask with your head down and your eyes on your feet.

"Someone's fishing for information," she sings.

"It's just, we've been on four dates, and they all end with either a kiss on my cheek or nothing at all. I don't know if he sees these dates as two friends hanging out or as something more. I want to ask him about it, but I'm scared."

"Scared that he'll say you're just friends?" she wonders.

"I really like him. I just can't get a read on him. He's an open book, but it's one I can't read."

"Spencer is oblivious to things like that. You have to be blunt with him."

"Yeah, I guess."

"Speaking of your abilities, how do they work?"

"I connect with peoples energies, if you want to call it that. I connect with dead people more because of the energy they leave behind. I see crime happen well after they're through. It works with people who are alive too, just more difficult."

"Really? Can you read me?" she gets excited.

"Are you giving me permission to read you?"

"Yeah, go ahead."

"Okay," you nod and place your empty ice cream cup in the trash by her desk.

You grab her hands and close your eyes. Her aura is heavy with her past, and you try to decipher what she's trying to hide deep down. You get flashes of a car accident and two older people in the car, and that's it. If she were to give you more information, your vision would be a lot thicker and solid. You're not getting anything else, so you pull away and open your eyes.

"Your parents died in a car accident. They were looking for you."

"Um, yeah," she whispers emotionally.

Her aura turns a shade bluer, and you can sense how sad she grows.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you sad. That's all I got to see."

"No, it's fine," she says and turns back to her computer screen.

"Penelope, it's not your fault."

Someone knocks on the door, and Spencer opens the door. The atmosphere thickens, and you know you upset your friend.

"Hey, we got a case."

"Okay, be right there."

Spencer leaves the door open when he leaves, and you stand up. Penelope is too upset to say goodbye, so you just leave her office. You let her door close with a soft click before you join the group. You have to find a way to make it up to Penelope. You didn't mean to upset her.