Plain Sight: Part One

"Don't forget that I cannot see myself – that my role is limited to being the one who looks in the mirror." - Jacques Rigaut

Being the youngest one on the team not only made you feel like you needed to work extra hard to prove you were worthy of your place on the team, but it made you feel like an outcast because everyone was so close and tight-knit. The only person you really knew was Gideon, but he was more closer to Hotch than anyone else since they were closer in age than the rest. The person closest to your age is Spencer which is why you feel like you connect more with him than anyone else.

It's his birthday today, and everyone is celebrating at his desk with cake and trick candles. They seemed to be having a good time, and you didn't want to join them and ruin their fun. It didn't feel like you were part of this family just yet since you were fairly new with abilities they've never seen before. However, even if you weren't celebrating with them, you still got Spencer a present. It's special since you knew he would hold it dear to his heart. You were pretty proud of yourself for finding the exact item you wanted even though you were at the point of ripping your own hair out.

Hotch and Gideon were off to the side to watch the rest of the team celebrate, and you stood by them with your arms crossed shyly.

"Make a wish!" Elle grinned.

"Come on man! Blow, baby blow!" Derek teased when Spencer kept blowing at his candles despite them not going out.

"I thought you are full of hot air, Reid," Elle joked.

"Come on, Reid."

"They're trick candles, Spence, okay? They gonna come back on every time," JJ caved in after seeing him try so hard to blow them out.

Derek grabbed the ends of Spencer's big blue birthday hat and shoved it further down on his head with a huge smile.

"Oh, mommy to rescue you!"

"Mommy?" Spencer scoffed, shaking off his friend.

"Is it amazing he knows what he knows and he's only 24?" Hotch asked his friend with a shocked smile.

"Imagine what he'll know by fifty."

"I'm twenty-two," you spoke up, causing both heads to turn to you.

"Why aren't you over there with them?" Gideon asked.

"I don't feel like I'm part of the family just yet. I mean, I'm the youngest, so I feel like they think I'm a kid or something. I don't know. I'm weird," you chuckled nervously.

"Hey, lil' mama," Derek called out for you when he noticed you off to the side. "Come on."

"Yeah, come over here," Spencer smiled.

Once he chimed in, the rest of the team wanted you to join them. Blushing, you hesitantly walked over to the group, and Derek wrapped an arm around your shoulder.

"You're part of this team now. You've proven yourself," he grinned.

"Thanks, Derek," you smiled right back.

"You blew wax on the cake, man," Derek scoffed playfully, taking his arm away to help cut the cake.

Spencer got up to replace your spot next to Gideon since Hotch needed to take a call.

"Is this homemade or store bought?" you asked.

"I made it," JJ smiled widely.

"Wow, this looks amazing and I bet it tastes amazing too," you chuckled.

She put the first piece of cake on the plate, turned to Spencer, and called out to him.

"Hey Spence, first piece for the birthday boy," she smiled.