The Fox: Part Three

"Dr. Rachel Howard?" Hotch says once he knocks and opens the door. The therapist has a family inside, and all eyes are on you, Hotch, Gideon, and Derek. "I'm special agent Hotchner with the FBI."

She escorts the little girl and her mother out of the room so that you five can talk privately.

"Can I help you?" she asks.

"I'm agent Jason Gideon, behavioral analysis," he says and flashes her his badge.

"We both deal with the dysfunctional. Happily, in my line, the end results aren't quite as unpleasant as yours."

"Unless you're the Crawford family or the Millers. You knew them both," you state.

"Yes. I knew them, but–"

"Ma'am. I think you should take a seat," Derek suggests.

"Why?"

"Both families were found murdered in their homes. Both families came to this medical center to seek treatment. You prescribed Reese Miller with Diazepam. They're dead, and you're the only connection," you say.

"We're gonna have to check your alibi," Derek warns.

"Dig all you want. I have 4 teenagers. If I had any time to myself it wouldn't be spent killing my clients," she sighs and takes a seat from across her desk.

"You worked with both families?"

"I assessed their cases. This office deals with hundreds of families–military, cops, lawyers, congressmen, and even feds. I only met the Crawfords and Reese Miller once."

"But you prescribed medication for them," you shrug.

"I'm the only medical doctor here."

"Who'd you hand the cases over to?"

"Uh, I'll have to check my files," she says and gets up.

She walks around her desk to her filing cabinet and opens it up before shuffling through all the paper files.

"You don't use a computer?" you wonder.

"Not all of us have embraced the technical revolution. I keep everything filed. It makes me feel more in control. And please do not read into that," she groans. She pulls out a file and opens it before confirming your suspicions. "The Crawfords. Karl Arnold dealt with their case."

"What about the Millers?" Hotch asks.

"I'd like to see him now," Gideon says once he takes the file from Rachel.

"Well, you can't. He works 4/40–4 10-hour days. He's off today, but he'll be in first thing tomorrow."

"Do you have his home address?"

Rachel sighs, but she writes down the address she knows by heart.

"I'll get a team out to his house," Derek offers.

"In the meantime, we'd like to see his office."

"Follow me," she offers and leads the team of FBI agents to Karl's office.

Derek tries to call his cell, but like you'd expect, it goes straight to voicemail.

"Suspect's cell is going straight to voicemail."

Rachel gets to the door, and she tries to turn the handle but it's locked. It's normal to keep a private office locked, but you've been in enough therapy offices to know they don't really lock their offices–just the building.

"I'll get security," Rachel offers.

"No, we don't have time for that," Derek says and takes a few steps back from the door.