Chapter 25: Appearances

MARCH 1, FELIX FELICIS, HOGSMEADE

A large banner hung across the ceiling, emblazoned with Happy Birthday Ron in bright red letters. Gold fireworks burst around the text. Draco was at Hermione's side as they entered, holding her hand tightly.

"Hermione! Draco!" Padma cheered from behind the bar. Parvati and Luna turned from their seats at Padma's voice. More cheers of their names echoed around the room. Hermione pulled Draco's hand, bounding towards her friends.

Hermione and Draco settled in a small booth by a window with Luna after everyone exchanged greetings. The sky had turned a deep blue as clouds swirled softly through the sky. February's snow had nearly melted, leaving the Hogsmeade streets wet and glowing with the reflected light of the street lamps.

"Hi everyone," Harry's cheery voice made Hermione turn.

"Harry!" Hermione smiled, lifting quickly to hug him.

"Hey Hermione," Harry patted her shoulder in his signature kind-but-awkward way as they pulled apart.

"Where's Ron?" Hermione looked around, wondering if he had come with Harry.

"The Weasley's are having a family moment at the joke shop," Harry laughed, rolling his eyes. "They'll stumble over here soon."

Harry shuffled into the booth beside Hermione awkwardly. As she adjusted, Hermione glanced up beside her to inspect Draco's demeanor. He seemed relaxed, much to her relief.

"How have you been Hermione? It feels like I haven't properly seen you for ages." Harry smiled with a slight wobble, his intonation telling her he was already a bit drunk.

Draco's hand that had been resting beside Hermione lifted to her knee as Harry spoke, squeezing slightly up her thigh. 

"A-A bit nervous actually. For the meeting with McGonagall." It was true. 

"You've been training for this your whole life Hermione," Harry laughed, "it will be great."

"Have you prepared everything yet? Do you need my help writing out your lesson plans?" Hermione bubbled with excited curiosity.

"This is one assignment from McGonagall I should probably do myself, but thanks Hermione. I think I'll be able to sort it out." The maturity in Harry's words startled Hermione. The last time they were at Hogwarts together, Harry was begging for Hermione's help with assignments every chance he got. Everything was so opposite to how it used to be- she couldn't believe she was sitting between mature, prepared Hogwarts professor: Harry Potter and best sex of her life: Draco Malfoy.  

Draco's hand was still at her knee, fingers now resting softly in comfort around her inner thigh. Him and Luna were having a quiet, polite conversation about the view out the window while Harry and Hermione spoke. 

"Well that's great, Harry," Hermione tried to stay focused on her conversation despite the sensation of Draco's hand on her. "We should all celebrate after- maybe come back here."

Harry rocked his head violently, "Yes! I like that plan...Speaking of..." His eyes searched around the bar before spotting Parvati and Padma who appeared to be debating between two large, ornate looking bottles of some spirit. Harry raced over when he saw.

The large, wood front door opened suddenly with a groan, flooding cold air across Hermione's face. Ron, Fred, George and Ginny came bounding in with a loud clatter of noises. Fred and George's arms were slung over each other, their eyes red and smiles wide. Ginny and Ron were laughing hysterically, sloshing goblets in their hands.