Chapter 12: Subconscious

"What the bloody hell is going on here?" Ron nearly shouted.

Hermione pulled at her sweater, nervously adjusting. Harry followed in behind Ron, also having caught a glimpse. His expression was less shocked than Ron's.

Hermione glanced up at Draco with pleading eyes, unsure of what to say.

"We're all grown here. Aren't we...Weasley?" Draco's deep voice reverberated.

"And what does that mean!" Ron looked furious.

"There's no problem here if you don't make one." Draco said through clenched teeth, hand territorially reaching around Hermione's hip- pulling her to him.

Hermione's face reddened and she pulled away from him slightly. When she did, she felt the tight resistance of his hand clenching harder onto her to keep in her place at his side.

"Ron, please..." Hermione pleaded. "Let me explain. We can talk about it."

"I definitely don't want to talk about it Hermione!" Ron's expression looked horrified.

Hermione stepped forward, pulling Draco's hand from her body.

"Ron, Harry- please let's go somewhere and talk-"

Fred, George, Neville, Pansy, Luna, Padma and Parvati all came slowly walking into the room from the doorway, eyes wide and watching with drinks in hand. Fred and George bounced onto a couch in unison and seemed to get enjoyment from Ron's obvious frustration as he stared at Hermione and Draco with fury. The rest of them stood more hesitantly near the door, unsure what had happened and what would happen.

"What is going on between you two- What is it- some mad fling? I know Harry said- but-" Ron was stumbling over his words now.

"We're just friends, Ron. Just relax..." Hermione offered with a plead- glancing at Draco, "Ron, come on- we're all adults here."

Out of the corner of her eye, Hermione saw Draco's eyes shoot to her face. She looked up to see him seething. She had said it without thought- wanting to cool Ron's anger- "friends."

"But HIM?" Ron looked bewildered at Hermione. "I don't care how old we are now- have you lost your memory? Has he dosed you with a love potion?"

Hermione grimaced, "Please let me just explain. Let's go and talk this out somewhere."

"No need."

She froze at the sound of Draco's voice.

Before she could object, Draco's tall frame was walking swiftly past Ron and through the crowd of people around the entry- still all standing and staring.

"Draco, wait-" Hermione called out after him but he didn't turn as he walked out the door.

The silence was deafening.

Hermione exhaled shakily- torn internally. Her brow furrowed for a moment before she stood up tall and stared resolutely back at Ron.

"Ron...Harry...I think you'll find that we've all changed with time. You both definitely have. I have. He has."

"But-" Ron went to interrupt.

"RON," Hermione nearly shouted, "Listen to me. I have changed."

Another moment of silence. She hoped he understood her words in a deeper way. He needed to let go of the idea that they would end up together.

"Give him a chance. For me. Please." Hermione continued.

Ron frowned but Harry looked passive.

"You brought him here to what? Hang out? One of the group? Really?" Ron said, still angry, but quieter now.