Ch 42 the longest shift

Trigger warning: violence ahead. It is not as hard as Land of Dragons, but it hurts.

I hid behind a wall and yelled at the man in the alley. He is holding a hostage at gunpoint. A petit teenager. Almost as young as Ah-Qing. We need to save her.
"Ok. Kenny. This is your last chance. If you leave the kid go, I promise the cops will go easy on you".  

The man laughs madly and holds the youngster more rigidly.

"Fuck you. I am already screwed. He knows we betrayed the organization. He will make us pay as soon as we enter jail".

True. Wen Ruohan's minions have been trying for months to get their hands in his money and fighting over territory. And this guy.
"Kenny. You were the one that handed me a water bottle in my last presentation, right?"
He starts to sweat. Bingo. "Kenny. You don't need to lie anymore. We have all pieces of the puzzle. You can cooperate or dig your hole deeper". His hand loosens.
A shot is heard. Bullseye. The man falls to the ground screaming in pain, his arm bleeding. The kid escaped his hold and ran towards the wall. I ran towards Kenny and took the pistol. It is over. I exhale.
The kid starts to sob uncontrollably and falls on her knees.
Lan Zhan appears from behind, carrying a rifle. I guess Lan Zhan deserved a big reward this night, but for now, a kiss will have to do.

We espouse Kenny and carry him to the vehicle. It has been a very long shift. It all started at 7 am a robbery in a drug store. Then, three thugs broke the court's windows three hours later, and the whole area was surrounded since the trial against Wen Ruohan was at its peak. Afterwards, we had a drunken public disorder, and we had to put 15 people in jail until they calmed down. Finally, Kenny shot one of the former henchmen of Wen Ruohan during an altercation in an amusement park and, while escaping, took a kid hostage.
It is almost 9 pm now. I need food and a shower. But first, we have to deliver Kenny. So I drive us to the precinct. We are too tired even to talk.

The station is quite busy at 9 30 pm. Wen Ning is cramming a pile of files in his desk hair in disarray when we arrive. Tomorrow Wen Lee will testify, and Wen Ning has been busy preparing the case. Wen Qing will testify within two days.

We are exhausted, too, since our shift should have ended long ago. We haven't been as busy as today in months. I think it is due to the blue moon. People get crazy when the moon is up. We put Kenny with the other group of felons that we caught recently. The cells are almost packed.

Hopefully, Kenny will collaborate with the authorities, and we will be able to tie all the loose ends regarding my case. So I go to prepare the interrogation room. While passing through the corridor, I glance at Qiren s office. His desk is piled with files too. So I guess it is not just Wen Ning who is stressed out.

They have tightened security around the witnesses. We had two officers with each the whole time- the best group trained by Lan Qiren himself. Sanren takes care of Wen Lee this night, and Qiren hides Wen Qing in the resort. Rui finally got a daughter, I guess. They make fun of it each time they can.

Lan Zhan has already taken possession of the coffee machine and brought cups to our desk. He hands me one, and I take it. Our hands linger in touch for a few seconds, reminding me of our bedtime activities last night. I shudder, and he notices, and a subtle smirk full of promises appears on his face.

Then we hear a scream and a bang. It is the cell section. We rushed there, but the prisoners had already broken out. Mayhem ensues. Two officers are already down, so we cover behind the door wall. Crowd control weapons (gas) is available, so four officers have already secured the armoury and brought it to us.
We are weighing our options about subduing these guys down without killing them when another shot is heard. It comes from Qiren's office.