Ch 11. Lotus rib soup

Past

Wei Ying POV

I do not doubt that there are souls that have to be together, and each time they find each other, and they end up together. That's why every time I see the peacock in the orphanage together with my sister, I bowed just a bit and left them be. This time, I chose a different family, but I will love her in each reincarnation. Even from afar, she will always be my sister. This time around, he is not that bad. I mean, he treats her as she is the most beautiful woman in the world.

Today we are preparing the largest lotus rib soup in the world in the hopes of raising funds for the orphanage. We have been chopping vegetables for the last four days and some other volunteers, including the Jiang siblings, Jin Zixuan, Lan Xichen and two of his friends.

After two months, Lan Zhan has developed some resistance to chopping scallions. I am still struggling with it, but the slices are well-cut. However, Jiang Cheng seems to be suffering quite a bit these days. He always joins us and doesn't want to mingle with Lan Xichen for some reason. Meanwhile, Lan Xichen and Meng Yao are dedicated to slicing the ginger and the berries. Sometimes, they glance at us and smile.

Nie Mingjue is one man's army. First, he carries the bags of seaweed and washes them rapidly. Then, he goes out and starts drinking his lemonade or talking on his phone. Meanwhile, the lovely couple blanches the pork ribs. I think they want to enjoy the stove's heat while holding hands. I open my mouth and forget to close it while I watch them. "It is too much sugar", I murmur, look at my Lan Zhan and return to my green scallops.

Right before we start the cooking of the soup, we peel the lotus root and cut it into large chunks. This has to be done the same day that the soup is prepared. We have to be quick. I can see the fire in the eyes of my companions. The one that peels more roots will receive a jar of wine. Some reporters have come to cover the event.

Nie Mingjue smiles, plays with his knife making it fly and catches it in the air, ready for a demonstration. Lan Zhan doesn't even glance at him. He is focused on the roots and nods at me. We spread tasks: one peel and the other chops. I smile. Jiang Cheng looks at us and rolls his eyes, then proceeds to roll up his sleeves and focuses on the roots. Lan Xichen and Meng Yao chuckle. Jin Zixuan unexpectedly comes to the table and positions himself next to Jiang Cheng to help.

We hear some cheering. Miss Jiang waves at us and signals the camera. Then, we smile and keep chopping. We won by a slight stretch. All the training for the last two months has to be useful for something. First, we add all the prepared ingredients in pots with water and boil them. Then, we took turns to keep an eye on the jars.

The party is going well. The customers seem to be happy with their soup. Madam Yu and Madam Jin seem to be in a good mood. Even Qiren appears to be satisfied. As we drink our wine, Lan Zhan asks, "Brother did you know that lotus seed pods with their stems attached taste better than those without it?"

"mmm?" I mumbled, "They do? Really? Who told you that?"

"I don't remember. It is something I just knew," says Lan Zhan

I sip my wine and smile "we should get some to see if it is true".

When we are about to leave, madam Yu approaches and says, "I spoke to the master I told you about, and she will be happy to receive you as her new disciple. Here is the address and her phone number. I expect you to act appropriately in front of her. Otherwise, you will embarrass all of us".

I nod. "Thank you. I expect to be a good disciple".

Not long after, we said our goodbyes. Every group takes their leave. After Lan Xichen takes the taxi with his friends, Jiang Cheng seems even more pissed. Lan Zhan and I look at each other and decide to make a strategic retreat. We say goodbye to Jiang Yanli and his peacock and leave.

I feel dizzy from the alcohol, so Lan Zhan carries me inside the house. I want to drag him to my room and never let him go. He remembers—some bits, not all. I will make him remember.

Lan Zhan helps me to take off my jacket and shoes. He doesn't say much, and I can't either, so I hug him.

"You are so good to me, thank you".

He froze, and we heard someone coughing. "You two go to sleep. Tomorrow, you still have school".

We obey. Some battles are better to be avoided.

A few days later, Uncle Qiren drives us to "Madam's Ren house for remarkable children" at a given hour. We try to look more presentable as we arrive at the old house. I don't know why Lan Zhan wants to come, but I am happy to be together. Maybe it is better this way.

The house seems old, but as we knock, a girl opens it and yells. "Madam Sanren, they are here!!!" And she runs inside.

"Qin, manners, please! We have guests," says a boy, smiling apologetically. "Sorry, my sister is a bit overenthusiastic. Please come inside and take a seat".

As we enter, the boy closes the door. "Welcome to Madam's Ren academy. My name is Xue Yang. My brother and my master will be here soon".

The boy tours us inside the place. There are several pictures of children, some smiling with prizes, some men, some women. Some photos are pretty old, but I can recognize at least four people; two are dead now. One of them drove us here. Lan Zhan and I look at each other and chuckle.

"We have been quite successful in competitions. However, despite the name, there is just four of us now. The glory days of this place are gone, but madam Sanren is the best".

While saying that, the studio door opens, and Madam Sanren enters with a young man with sunglasses; this is my disciple Xiao XingChen. Welcome to my home. I hope you like it and decide to study here- she says

We bow, and I peek into her eyes. Old eyes, knowing eyes.

"We are honoured to be here," says Lan Zhan. I hope we can become worthy disciples.

I nod in agreement "we are delighted to meet you".

And just like that, we start the path to find what was lost.

---

I hope you like it. Stay safe.