Epilogue 3. Under the willow tree

To give context to the story, it might be better to listen to the song first.

-----

"So what happened here?" says Lan Sizhui to his colleague Det. James Connors.

"Not much of it is known until now—the driver. Mr Evans and his two friends are college students from Melbourne, rich kids, and came during spring break to this area for holidays. Let me see," says Connors rubbing his temple while looking at another report, "Mr Liu, camping site owner site, says that the kids abandoned the premise in the middle of the night without paying for the barbecue supplies. So he called the police and..."

While checking another paper, he continues.

"officer Nicholson, aka, the young lad whimpering behind the willow tree," says James mockingly, signalling a terrified guy crouching at his legs nearby.

"He says that he was on duty. He followed a car matching the description, but the kids refused to despite his warnings top and continued driving at 90 miles per hour. Finally, after 20 minutes of intensive chase, the car with the kids lost control, and now we have two dead kids, one in the hospital and a traumatized officer."

"Shit," says Sizhui," but I don't understand. I am on holiday. So why did you bring me here?"

Det. James Connors furrows his brow, locks his blue eyes with his friend, and says in a severe tone, "because before they took the last living kid to the hospital, he declared that the ghost of Waltzing Mathilda followed them. His friend Mr Alban went to fetch some water but found the apparition, and it tried to murder them."

"And?" says

"And? Ah- Yuan, You are a Chinese police officer, and you know about Chinese medicine, supernatural creatures, and mystic stuff," says James.

Lan Yuan yelled agitatedly, "You have the wrong Lan. The one you should consult is my dad and my other dad" he humped and crossed his arms without looking at Connors. "Plus, don't use my name in public so casually."

Connors laughs.

Ah-Yuan was a bit red, but he finally sighed and drew a circle around the willow tree and a symbol inside, "but in any case, let's go to that camping site and take a look at the evidence there and tell officer Nicholson to stay in that place without moving an inch..."

"Why?" asked James

Yuan shrugged. "Precaution. Willow trees are associated with a brook or river, with an endless source of nourishment and supply. It symbolizes flexibility and adaptability, and also protection. If there is an entity, he will be fine if he stays inside". Then he headed to the police car.

Despite the problems, the view of the forest and the coast was breathtaking. Green and blue colours almost melt before a small light yellow line. Connors quietly looked at his friend, his calm demeanour contrasted with his hardened eyes. His lips formed a coil smile as his eyes landed on his neck and denounced, "For a man that says he is above superstition, you still use that charm of yours."

Ah-Yuan smiled, his eyes lost in reminiscence. "He remembers when we met," he thought, touching his necklace. He said proudly, "It is my dad's gift." He reclined his seat and moved his legs to accommodate his big frame in the passenger seat. When he left his home, his father gave him a necklace that had a tiny glass bottle with a small, enchanted parchment.

Connors said, "Actually, I just invited you because I wanted to show you this forest and this view of the ocean before you spend the rest of your holidays on the beach."

Both of them laugh.

They stopped the car at the campsite, and a skinny man with deep eagle brown eyes and dark skin approached. They explained to Mr Liu what happened, and he looked down at the small pebbles. then he said, "How can I help?"