Ch 41. Crimson ribbon and black flute

Wei Ying POV

Past

Carefully, I tie a red ribbon to my hair to hide the roots of the wig more easily. I look at myself in the mirror. The black robes flutter with movement, but they fit perfectly and contrast with my skin. I cannot hide my pride, and I smile. Yeah, it is perfect. "hello, long time no see you."

I must admit that I like cosplaying, especially if I can return to be the other me for a moment. I was known as the Yiling Patriarch long ago; my name brought fear to the cultivation world, with reason, and many praised me, but then everyone reviled me. I lived a life ruled by principles that sometimes, too many times, brought misery to the lives of those who loved me. Until I found him again, that was so long ago. Only a few know that name nowadays. 

I am also Wei Ying, Lan Zhan's husband. He is a straightforward detective who solves cases with his partner by his side. I have an adoptive family and a handful of in-laws. Because of them, I have to participate in this traditional and modern music festival today. 

"Do I have to dress like this?" says Xue Yang at my side. He is also cosplaying.

"Sanren asked you to do it?" I mutter

"Yes," he says dejectedly

"Yu and Rui also asked the others. So we have no other choice."

"But you are enjoying it, aren't you?"

I shrug. "I love cosplaying," Then I pinch Xue Yang, and we start messing with each other's wigs. Finally, Lan Zhan enters, sees us in a bizarre embrace, and raises his brows. "Are you done? We have to go to the stage quickly."

We follow him, and through the corners of the scenario, we check outside. It seems that the ads were quite a success. The place is packed. Hopefully, this will put people at ease and restore some lost faith in the future.

It has been two months since we arrested Wang Lingjiao and the others. By now, the first audience has already started. Wen Ruohan had no escape, so he decided to collaborate. We know that Wen Chao has abandoned the city, and the sight of him heading to Thailand is our best lead. But extradition is a nightmare, so he probably won't be caught soon. Wen Ning informed us that Detective Su, who interfered in Xiangcheng and earlier investigations, died in persecution after escaping jail.

Our master of ceremonies, Nie Mingjue, calls the following participants; "Here, my best friend and his partner. Lan Xichen and Jiang Cheng enter.": Nie Mingjue exits and goes to take some water. Meng Yao is checking the program with him. They are chatting and laughing happily. 

Huaisang is watching them with a strange expression. I go to greet him. He smiles but keeps his gaze focused on his brother. I wanted to talk to him, but we weren't close, so I gave him some candy from Xue Yang. He accepts them and derives our conversation about me and Lan Zhan: "How are the first months of marital life?"

I hum, "Why is everyone interested in that? It is going well, thanks, actually, between us. Not much has changed except that he has to save the poor bacon from me officially." We laugh.

"How is the business doing?". I ask

"It is fine. Zixuan and I have started a partnership and are creating a resort together. Still, sometimes my brother and I are so busy that only in moments like these do we spend time together." he returns his glance to smiling Minjue and Meng Yao. 

I put more candies in his hand. "I have too many of these. You can have them or share them as you please". I smile and return to my husband now that Xichen's and Cheng's turn is finished, and Xue Yang and Xingchen head to the scenario. As soon as we are reunited, they start to accommodate our costumes. "You need to put more effort into the wig. It looks disheveled, and the left sleeve is a bit uneven," says Cheng. Xichen is fixing his brother's hair. "this looks good on you, but your hair might need this," and he hands me a hairband.