Ch 29. Two jars of wine

Wei Ying POV

past

After taking all the students to the van and letting us back to the city, Lan Zhan and I detour. We choose a small restaurant to find something to eat after running all day. It was necessary. Yet, I kept ordering wine. Finally, after we ended half of the second bottle, Lan Zhan stopped me.

"You shouldn't drink more."

"But I want to celebrate that we pass the examination!!"

He kept his stern look until I gave up, and he drank my glass instead. I blinked. No matter how much our bodies have changed from the past, being the light-headed one isn't that fun, unless.

"Lan Zhan, you said you didn't want to go home to discuss things, so at least tell me all these changes?"

"You have been working hard for us all this time. So, I traced back all the extra training that you went through during the last three years, and I am taking it too."

I am supposed to be the talkative one here, but I need a moment to process what is happening. I indeed recovered my memories almost four years ago. After gaining his affection back, I stopped trying to make him remember the past, and I focused on the present and a future where we could be together despite any comments or oppositions. Yet, all the efforts were almost wasted due to an unfortunate decision. Nothing is certain in this world so I won't delay this anymore.

"Lan Zhan, let's marry now. Tomorrow because temples must be closed at this hour, we have reached 18, and everybody knows we have already exchanged engagement gifts. It doesn't matter if Lan Qiren gets mad again. Let's form a home together from now on."

He nods, and I smile. Then I poured a glass of wine and gave it to him. He does the same. I pick my cup and wound my arm around his. We smile at each other and drink our cups with our arms overlapped.

"I think we should pay the bill already."

He nods.

We didn't return home that night.

The following day, we enter the house before dawn as sneakingly as possible, yet it is difficult to beat a seasoned man like Lan Qiren. As soon as we cross the living room, he turns on the light of his studio. Finally, we sigh defeated and sit in front of his desk.

He looks at me and then at Lan Zhan. Then, back at me again and shrugs.

"Alright, since we reached this point, there is only one thing left to do" He opens his drawer and hands an envelope to me. "Your parents weren't rich, but I kept the money of their bank accounts in a trust fund. I checked it last week, and with your savings, the money might be enough to give you the entrance to a small apartment. A good thing about being a cop is that the loan interests for housing are low."

We open our mouths and look at him. He sighs, "I didn't react that well to your relationship, but I was raised with old-fashioned values. You have my blessing to marry now" he lefts the studio and let us there holding hands.

Two days later, I am eating lunch with Wen Ning.

"So, how have you been, young Master?"

"I am fine, looking for an apartment to move into with Lan Zhan already."

He laughs. "This time, you guys are going very fast" I shrug. "I touched Chengquin".

He stops laughing. "I am sorry."

"It is ok. Lan Zhan is still almost an average person. He doesn't remember all those painful years, and I prefer he stays oblivious to that". What was the point of making him remember the pain I made him go through all those 13 years alone? As long as he loved me, it didn't matter.

"Lan Zhan loves you. Sooner or later, he will recover those memories."

I sigh and smile. "Now, let's talk about you. What has been happening with you these years? we have a lot to talk about."

Wei Ying

Present

Although Lan Zhan is used to my driving, I can't help but notice that Sizhui is clutching his hand to the window. So I reduced my a bit my speed. Wen Ning chuckles. Lan Zhan keeps explaining to us the situation at the hospital.

"So is uncle Xichen ok?" asks Sizhui

"Yes, they will be discharged soon", answers Lan Zhan

"Thank god"

Thanks, Xingchen, but I don't say anything. I smile and nod.

The guard let us enter reluctantly. So, we head right to the vault. I start to hum to open the vault. I see that Sizhui keeps looking at me and then at Lan Zhan from the corner of my eyes. Is it a good moment for a "Yes, Sizhui, I am your father?"

As soon as the vault door opens, the lights go out.

"Everybody down", I scream, but the rain of bullets is already against us.

A scream pierces our ears as Wen Ning hits the ground while protecting Lan Shizui with his body. They were waiting for us. They will pay.

I feel his hand in mine. I look at Lan Zhan as he draws a circle and two lines in my hand, and we split. He disappears in the shadows while I provide the distraction.

"Hey guys, can we have a truce or something? Your guns are bigger than ours. So, if you let us see the content of the vault, you can have them for your"

A bullet came in my way, but it got suspended midair—protection spell. After that, the trigger-happy guy gave out his location, and in less than five seconds, Lan Zhan took care of him. There should be at least two more left.

I ran towards a column "Ok, if you don't want to negotiate, we have no other choice than to take you down, yet you could surrender and might get a lighter sentence" Another bullet is shot, this time it was directed at where Lan Zhan was a moment ago. However, there isn't anyone there anymore. So I took the second shooter down as soon as he gave out his location.

I scream, "one last chance," but my words are met with fire, then two screams are heard.

"Idiots", I mutter while Lan Zhan drags the last two guys through the floor and puts them in handcuffs.

We return to Sizhui and Wen Ning.

Lan Sizhui is still shocked. "Is he going to be ok?" I smile and say, "Sure, he is fine. He is just unconscious."

"But... he doesn't have a pulse."

I look at Lan Zhan. Sizhui is our baby. "Detective Wen Ning is very old. Like 1300 years old. He doesn't need a pulse anymore. I will beg you to keep quiet about this part, though. Only a few know of him"

He nods, and we help Wen Ning to sit. We took the items from the vault. In a small metal box, it is the item of my nightmares. I thought I would never see it again. Lan Zhan puts his hand in my arm, and we go back to the door.

"I thought he was working alone," I say.

"Who?" asks Sizhui.

"The man we saw here before", I scratch my head. "I don't understand this. Why is he involved with these guys."

"Most importantly, why didn't he come personally," says Lan Zhan. I nod

"Call Jin Zixuan, damn, we might have been had"

We head to the car with a kid in tow. Wen Ning stays to take care of the paperwork. I am sorry, Sizhui, we have to visit my sister's husband soon.

--

I hope the chapter was of your liking. Warning. Although some of these chapters are better than others, I will ask you to check chapters 22 and 27 in about 3-4 chapters. We will be wrapping up the mystery of the disappearance of Nie Minjue.