Ch 9. How to make God laugh

Past

Xichen POV

It is an essential fact of life that we tell him our plans if we want to make God laugh. So, although I did ask for blessings on heart matters, I wished to be corresponded by the man I have been interested in for the past half-year: Nie Mingjue. He captured my heart with a simple act and shattered my hopes last night when he showed me the pictures of his new beau.

I befriended Nie MingJue during my first days at the university. We shared a few classes, and we often found each other in the gym. Besides being enrolled in the business school, he used to work as a model, so he was always worried about his appearance. He had got some acting and singing chops too. Music and sports become a point in common, so we hang out quite often.

I am not sure when I started to fall for him. No, I think that I know. It was that time when we were returning late at night when we saw a group of men approaching my roommate menacingly. I rushed to help him, but I didn't foresee that they would try to hit him. So I ended up on the floor with my nose broken.

My roommate growled, "Do not dare to touch him. You are going after me, aren't you?" And launched himself to one of the guys, kicking and screaming. He was fast. The guys weren't expecting that reaction, so he successfully landed a punch in the jaw of one of the guys. Sadly, my roommate is 170 cm tall and skinny, while the other guy was about 185 cm and quite muscular. After the shock, this guy just pushed Meng Yao to the floor, and he fell next to me.

As they approached to beat us, Nie Mingjue advanced calmly and steeped in front of us into the light. 

"Gentlemen," Nie Mingjue said, "there are three ways in which we can finish this. First, you can stay and get beaten by me, you probably recognized my face, and my title as a martial artist is uncontested. Second, you can run before the guards come, as you probably didn't realize there is a camera in that light street, and I have sent an alarm message, so your time is limited. Third, you can punch yourselves, bow to your friends, and repay them for your actions".

The guys chose to go away. As we got home to clean ourselves, Meng Yao started to talk, "Sorry guys, I asked for a scholarship to study here, but sadly sometimes the money isn't enough. I tried running gambling bets, but I got discovered by the local handlers, and they kicked me. Those were their thugs. I guess I will stay in regular jobs to pay the bills".

We didn't say much. As we entered our apartment, Nie Mingjue went right to the kitchen to heat water, took a towel, and started to clean our injuries. Then, he spoke, "You know, I need an assistant. I won't pay much, but I need someone that organizes my schedule, drives me to locations and answers my calls. If you are interested, I would like to hire you, in that way you won't lose much of your classes".

In that way, my roomie ended up working for Nie Mingjue. I couldn't help myself. It grew warm feelings for this generous, strong, talented, and bright man.

It took me a while to try to confess. I had a complete plan, what to say, how to say it. So, I gathered as much liquid courage as possible to tell Mingjue about my feelings during the party of Miss Jiang Yanli. After that, I don't remember quite well what happened.

When we started to talk, Nie Mingjue excitedly showed me the pictures of him and Wen Rouhan, a significant business owner, hugging him tightly. Wen Ruohan has just confessed his feelings, and they started a relationship a few days ago. I couldn't tell him. 

I said something like congratulations and retired from his side. I don't remember his expression when we parted ways. I recall, partially, that Meng Yao begged me to come home, but I refused. Then, I sat on a couch and started a heated argument with the Jiang boy about losses, love, commitment, unrequited feelings, etc. 

Now, as I woke up, I was in a big bed, hugging the Jiang kid. 

For the love of God. What am I doing here?

---

We know how he ended up there. He doesn't. Why is he hugging Jiang Cheng? I won't tell you yet. I have to go back to Wei Ying.