Ch 8. The Light bringer

Past

Lan Xichen POV

One of the most terrifying and saddest moments in my life was when I was told that our parents were dead. The sadness is evident. They were our parents. However, I experienced the fear that now my little brother was my responsibility—only mine.

He stopped talking, ate very little, and got very sick twice in the upcoming months. I wasn't sure how to console him. It seemed that he wanted to be reunited with our parents. So I did my best to keep him entertained. I learned to play the flute and learned songs to play with him. He smiled more, but he was still weak.

When uncle Qiren and my auntie said that a friend of theirs had died, they asked me if it would be possible to bring their friend's child to live with us. We were already worried about Lan Zhan, but I accepted, hoping to spare an orphan the pain of going through this alone and wishing that bringing someone new to our house could ease my brother's pain.

It worked better than expected. Lan Zhan now has a playmate, and they got along pretty well. I can see why. Wei Ying is always smiling, joking, and helping in the house and the resort. I know that he tries to compensate for living here. He doesn't need to do that much, but he might feel awkward if I tell him that. So, I leave him be.

Both my brother and Wei Ying have been grounded a few times in the coming months. My uncle is always the one that applies the punishments. He doesn't use physical attacks. He sends them to copy books, run errands, clean rooms of the resort. However, he always sends them together. He also realizes that my brother is more lively, outspoken, and assertive now than he was before despite the mischief.

When Wei Ying smiles, my brother's eyes glow. He brought light to the life of my brother. For instance, I am forever in debt with him. 

It was quite a surprise when I found them sleeping together that night. The TV was turned on, so it woke me up. I turned off the lights and the TV, tucked them properly with a blanket, and left them be. The following day my uncle was pissed off for a moment or two. Then, he remembered that they were still entirely innocent and let it go.

After the second anniversary of my parents' passing, I have made my peace with the idea of leaving my brother alone for a while since he has someone who can be a close companion for him. So, I announce to the family that I intend to enter the university and move there. I ask my uncle to manage the resort until I have enough knowledge to independently. He looks satisfied. My brothers don't oppose and wish me good luck with my studies. I feel blessed.

Days later, as I move on to my new life. While the taxi drives me to my new home, I can see that Wei Ying is holding Lan Zhan's arm tightly this time. Those two won't let each other go.

--- 

This is primarily a WangXian story, but it doesn't mean that other characters won't have their time in the spotlight. I will try to update a few chapters next week. Stay safe, and thanks for reading this fic.