Ch 27. Going to where the chaos is

Lan Zhan POV

Past

Three opponents, two of them look like professional thugs, but the other one seems to be a bit skinnier. My only choice is to run and hide Wei Ying. Where? Guest bathroom at the left. I pull Wei Ying with me, but he refuses to move.

"Why? Don't you want to talk to my new friends?"

"Later, come with me for a moment." We have barely moved five meters before thug one blocks our way. I do not stop and use the momentum to throw the guy to the floor. Unfortunately, he has good reflexes, and he pulls Wei's leg while we are running and makes us fall together. I love to feel Wei Ying's weight on top of me, but not in these circumstances.

Falling to the ground seems to awaken some sense in my Wei. He blinks and asks, "Lan Zhan, why are we on the floor?"

There was no need to answer as thug two skinny guys surrounded us and started to kick us mercilessly. Wei Ying is shocked and froze on the first kick. I take the opportunity to hold him and revert our positions. I am a bit taller. At least I can try to shield Wei Ying's body. I can see the panic and then the rage in his face. Forgive me, my love. I couldn't protect you.

Thug one has joined his friends in the beating, but the skinny guy leaves them and heads to another room of the house. I cannot see where. Then, for some reason, Wei starts to hum. What are you doing, Wei?

Before I can ask, I feel we are surrounded by darkness, and the thugs are screaming. I look at Wei Ying. A sadistic smile adorns his face, and his eyes have a slight tint of red. It was the first time I had seen this smile in him in real life, in dreams this was the smile that Wei Ying bathed in blood wore. Oh god, please, no, you won't retake my Wei Ying!!

The guys are thrown away by the dark entity surrounding us. We get up, I try to run with Wei Ying, but he is glued to his position. The dark energy surrounds his body. He smiles and seems ready to face the now frightened thugs. I should be scared, too, but I stand by his side. I look around and see that my uncle's studio door is open. Now I know where the skinny guy went.

"I was hoping we could be good friends, but I got it wrong. Too bad that you are attacking us in our home, where no one will hear you scream," says Wei Ying, smiling. "If you want, you can try to defend yourselves, but if you kneel now and ask forgiveness to my fiancé, I might be more merciful."

Thug Two hesitates, but Thug One comes at me. I dodged his attack, and before he could do anything else, the dark energy surrounding Wei's body separated him, making the thug levitate and hit the wall. Thug two falls to the ground and kneels.

I smack thug two on the head, and he is rendered unconscious. Wei Ying and I head to the studio silently, but the skinny guy has left using the window. We ran towards the parking lot. Sadly, the guy has fled.

Then, Wei Ying faints. I drag him inside the house and call my uncle and the cops. My uncle has one extra handcuff in the studio, so I use it on thug two. After that, I use a belt for the other one, hoping it will be enough.

Wei Ying is sleeping soundly on the sofa when help arrives. As the paramedics check him, they decide to take him to the hospital, and I want to follow, but I must wait for the cops and make a statement. As the ambulance leaves, uncle and auntie arrive. I tell them everything. Well, not the part where Wei Ying controls dark energy. Not now.

As we headed to the hospital later, I heard my uncle talking to some people on the phone, including Madam Sanren and my brother. He is troubled and worried. "I should have to drag him to the house, but no, the kid wanted to finish his contract."

"Is this related to his job, uncle?" I ask

"Not his, mine", he answers.

He tells everything. An anonymous tip has led the authorities to investigate Wen Ruohan's operations in Thailand. They are suspected to be involved in human trafficking and money laundering. His son is the main suspect, but a mole planted by the police has already identified the wrong crowd in Wen Ruohan's club: gangsters, drug dealers, and so on. They pay well for privacy but might also be involved in his business.