Ch 23. A wedding in the family

Wei Ying POV

Past

I am grateful for this life, this family and the opportunities that I have now. One of them sees Jiang Yangli in a red dress walking down the aisle. She looks stunning, and the groom is so happy. 

Lan Zhan gives me another handkerchief. I have spent three during the whole ceremony. First, we sit next to each other while the groom and bride say their vows and bow three times. We hold our fingers discretely the whole time. 

When we went to the reception, we stopped dead when we saw the members of our table: The cousins of Jin Zixuan. I issued my best apology to the guy I hit during Jiang Yangli engagement party, and although they fumed a little, they were polite enough to don't rebuke me either. It was enough if we didn't tear each other apart, I guess.

Next to us, Lan Xichen and his friends came. 

"I just want to understand Who is responsible for this," I ask

"I guess it is my fault. I asked brother for an opportunity to make amends after the last party," said Meng Yao bluntly.

"what?"  I said

"You don't know? The groom is my half brother. We are on amicable terms since our father has little time left, and we decided it was better not to bring issues to the family," said Meng Yao

"Really?"

Meng Yao shrugged and said, "the idiot got AIDS. He was diagnosed ten years ago and was forced to notify every woman he slept with about the issue, and that's how I met my dad and my ten brothers and sisters. I didn't get much help from this family, though, I have been working my ass to study and get a job, but I try to avoid them as much as possible, though we see each other in events like this". 

The speeches were lovely, the same as the first dance of the bride and groom, she danced with her father and brother and then came to our table and took my hand in hers. I followed her, and as we danced, she asked, "How do I look?"

"You look good. I am happy for you,"  I answered truthfully 

"You know, even if you didn't accept my father's offer to live with us, I have always seen you as my little brother. I am happy that you were able to come to my wedding," She said

I hugged her. "I wouldn't miss it for anything in the world", and we continued.

As she changed partners again, I went to walk under the moon in the garden, and I saw Jin Zixuan's mother smoking a cigarette. I tried not to be seen to avoid being scolded, but she spotted me and asked me to come to her. She said, "You look good. It seems that you got something from your mother". I smiled and said, "Thank you."

She looks away at the moon and says, "All the family wanted me to marry Jin Guangshan, and I obeyed. He was handsome and rich, and if I had known he would be so troublesome, I might have resisted my family wishes. QingYang didn't want to enter into an arranged marriage, and her family disowned her, but Yu and Qiren swear to her that they would take care of her children as she was our dear friend. You have done well until now. I wish you all the best" I bow, and we part.

The garden is beautiful, and I keep walking until someone drags me from behind. But, I don't resist since the smell of sandalwood is coming from that direction. "Oh, Lan Zhan, Lan Zhan, we can be easily found here. You don't mind it, do you?" I look into his eyes. They are glossy. He is drunk. Lan Zhan pushes me to a tree, and we start kissing each other. As our movements become heated, he separates and catches his breath. Then, he took off a white piece of fabric from the pocket of his jacket and put it in his head.

I laugh as he tries to tie it. "What are you doing?" 

"It is a tradition."

I smile, pretending ignorance. But, then, I ask, "tradition?"

"This represents regulating oneself. Only in front of the destined one we can lose our self-control," says Lan Zhan as he finishes to tie it. 

I ask, "Then, now, are you in total control of yourself?"

He nods, and I smile. He then says, "Now you can untie it" I approach and start kissing his forehead, cheeks, lips; before kissing his earlobes, I whisper, "I also think we are soulmates, Lan Zhan" and with that, I untied his forehead ribbon.

He took control of the kisses and pushed me against the tree again, but this time his movements were far more aggressive. Again, I am lost in the sensations, but a hum takes us back to reality. Aunt Rui is looking at us disappointed.

"Really?. You two need to avoid drinking. If you are found like this here, you might ruin the party."

We bow and retire. While going back to the reception, I ask, "Lan Zhan, in our wedding, who will use the head ornament?" 

"You, of course", he answers.

"why me? We are both men. What if we both use head ornaments?"

"No, It will look well on you, but not much in me", answers Lan Zhan frowning a bit. Although, I laugh, "you might be right. I hope we can do it soon".

And we both go back to the dance floor.

Lan Shizui POV

Present

After driving father and his friend home, the other detective asked me to return with him to the precinct. "This detective Wei is very close to my father, right?" I ask

"Yes, he is part of the Lan family too." says the detective driving the car.

"Then, why no one mentions him?" I scratch my head.

"I am not in a position to answer this much, but his whereabouts were kept secret. But, as you are about to become an adult, they might tell you soon," he says.

I recline my back on the seat. Dad said they would be talking about some "adult" themes in the family meeting. Jingyi changed the subject "What are we going to do in the precinct?" 

He ponders, "One of us should be present during the autopsy of Mo Ziyuan. Others should head back to the traffic department and ask for the footage of the security cameras of the area. Finally, others should return to the warehouse we visited this afternoon."

"I will go to the traffic department," I said, "and I will go to the warehouse," says Jingyi. Det. Wen nods in agreement. 

"what about the madman we have in custody?" I ask and get. Wen grins, "we left him in a cell until we do the other two tasks".

As I flirt my way to the security tapes, I receive a phone call. "Hey, it is Wen Ning. As you are there, could you please ask for the footage of Magnolia street number 24?. There has been an attempt against the life of your uncle and his husband. So please, get the footage soon and come back to the office."

I ran back to the office. 

The restaurant footage isn't perfect, but it is enough for Wen Ning to find a face in the database that matched the guy in the image. He explains

"Wen Zhuliu is a wanted criminal. We have linked him to several criminal acts, including attempted murder, arson and robbery. He is dangerous, so if you see him, shoot him or run. The choice is yours."

Regarding the attack of my uncle, not much can be seen in the footage as the man protects his face with a mask, but Det. Wen is frowning. I ask, "Did you see something?"

He nods and says, "A ghost".

--

I hope you like this tale.

Luo Qingyang makes a brief appearance in MDZS, but her impact was significant... now she switched places with Wei Ying's mother. If you want that I wrote more about her, let me know.

Also, the next chapter might contain light smut. However, some are minors here, so that it won't be cumbersome.