Ch 19. Welcome Home

Wei Ying POV

Past

It must be past midnight when the sounds of Xichen and Cheng coming back woke me up. Lan Zhan is in my arms, sleeping. He looks so beautiful, so peaceful. I can't stop myself from tracing his lips and caressing his cheeks. I start kissing his forehead softly. The aroma of sandalwood drives me nuts, so my hands start caressing his back. I wanted to mark his body so severely that I had to turn my back rapidly and think of something else before I lost control. Finally, a slight moan comes from his mouth; he reaches me and whispers, "Wei Ying, come back to Gusu with me".

I turn again. "Yeah, Let's go home". I kiss his hand and hug him until I fall asleep again.

The following day I woke up first and went to prepare breakfast. Madam Yu and Sanren are already up trying to cook something. So I approach, and they ask me to chop some vegetables. They make some jokes about how bad their husbands were with home tasks, but now new generations are not bad at all.

I ask, "Were you married, Madam Sanren?" I exclaimed, and my cheeks turned red, some many lives, and my tongue is still quicker than my brain.

She laughs. "Yeah, but he died. We met so young, yet we fell in love steadily. I loved him so much, but sometimes bad things happen. Then, I adopted the kids. They are my family now". We continued with our tasks, and she commented, "what about you? You are at that age when people start falling in love."

I blush, and the two laugh. Then, I ask, "I haven't said anything yet. I do not know how and I do not know if this person will accept me."

"Well, why don't you try to impress the person, do something romantic," says Madam Sanren

"Then what if I overdo it and I scare this person," I ask, looking at the forest, unable to meet their gaze.

"Then you failed, but you can give this person some space to reflect on his feelings and use that time on trying to improve yourself. In that way, even if you lose, you still have things going on for you. Rejection isn't the ultimate pain in the world," said Madam Yu in a harsh tone.

I looked at them and bowed slightly. "Thanks."

Having two jobs and working in the gym is difficult, but I like what I do. Plus, being away from Lan Zhan gave me time to practice our song.

There are good things about being the assistant of a rising star, meeting famous people, getting free products sponsored by several companies, visiting excellent restaurants, etc. As an assistant of Qiren in the resort and the academy, I am getting in shape faster than expected. He let me train with the others to become a cop one day.

However, there are things that I do not like. It was evident that some people are fake to Nie Mingjue, some have tried to use his fame to advance their careers, and some try to make him fall, but I got his back. Recently, however, I have to ask my uncle for some help. We started to receive threatening messages calling him cut-sleeve. After the woman was arrested, a lawyer came, and they settled for a non-contact agreement in exchange for her silence.

I was disappointed. What was the point then? Uncle asked me to go to lunch with him, and we drove to a pizza parlour. Every time I was angry, he drove us here and talked me out of my state. He started,d "Why are you so angry?"

"that woman threatened the life of Mingjue, but she will be free. So why is it that it has to be that way?"

he sighed. "Our country is far from being welcoming towards homosexuals. Since she didn't present any proof, but if the rumour goes out, he will probably lose some contracts, the damage will be worst to his career, and that woman has agreed to leave the country with a good sum of money to live elsewhere so his life won't be in danger anymore."

I ate in silence the rest of my pizza. Still, Qiren kept talking, "When I brought you home, I did it with the expectation that my nephew will have a playmate that might help him to be a more rounded person, not a troublemaker, you have changed my sweet Lan Zhan, and there is only one thing to say about that: Thank you."

I almost choke.

Two glasses of water later, he started to relax his twitched brows. "the thing is that you two have grown up a lot and have become more sensible each day, and I can't deny that it is due to the bond that the two of you share. That is why I have talked with my wife about this,s and we want to adopt you formally. What do you think? Would you like to be a member of our house?"

I look at this man. His eyes are full of affection. For a moment, I reflect on our past together. He softened a bit, but I never thought he would acknowledge me.

"I accept, thank you."

When we arrive at home, the family is gathered at the entrance. They all cheer, saying, "welcome home."

Wei Ying

Present

Lan Zhan and I entered the emergency room. We saw Lan Qiren embracing Jiang Fengmian and Madam Yu. We stop, and Lan Zhan asks, "Uncle, how is my brother?"

"They have been both sent to surgery, doctors aren't optimistic about Jiang Cheng, but your brother might make it. However, we do not know who is responsible for this yet."

I ask, "Can we join the team on this case" he shakes his head. "You know the procedure. We can't have people too connected to the victims in an investigation. So no, Wen Ning has been assigned to this matter."

"What about Mo Xuanyu?" asks Lan Zhan.

"He is locked in a cell, waiting for interrogation", answers Qiren. We looked at each other "We have to keep an eye on him. He might be connected to this incident," I said

"We wait until the doctor goes out from the operating table. Then we split" We nod.

Lan Zhan and I made ourselves worthwhile and brought coffee to Yu and Fengmian. I ask, "Where is Jiang Yanli?"

"At home, she broke her leg a couple of weeks ago in a swimming accident. You two are the worst godfathers ever. You never visit Jing Ling."

I agitate, my hands up and down. "Hey, I woke up yesterday. You were there, remember?" Madam Yu glared at my husband "you have an excuse, but he doesn't. He just kept whining and whining about you, and it is all my fault; Wei Ying suffered because of me and so on. So I will whip you both, but I am tired, and you are too old".

Jiang Fengmian laughs and embraces his wife.

The door opens, and a surgeon appears. Please, god, save them.