Ch51 The little things

Lan Zhan POV

For the last couple of minutes, the monotonous sound of the fan was the only audible thing in Wen Ning's office after we had finished our explanation and Wen Zhuliu had declared what he knew. 

"So this is it?" asks Wen Ning.

We nod.

"You let Mo Xuanyu get all the money and ran away", he continues.

We keep nodding.

"You know that plenty of people can use that money, right?" he interjects.

He got us there, but Wen Qing and Sanren didn't want that. However, I never asked Ah-Yuan about it, nor did we tell Xingchen. 

"I think it would have been difficult for us to keep it," says Ah Yuan. "I mean, none of us has connections with the art world, and Jin Zixuan would not be happy to buy them either".

Wei Ying and I hold hands.

"Shall we visit Wen Chao in jail now?" asks Wen Ning.

"Nah. I have a better idea," says Wei Ying, smiling.

I smile too. The Yiling Patriarch is such a benevolent person.

Despite the strict measures in China, a bribe or two can still buy some privileges, a private room, fine dining from time to time and, of course, having a relaxing working schedule. Yet, Wen Chao's hidden money has slowly drained out. If Wen Zhuliu didn't keep his promise, his happy days would run out soon. Luckily, he still has a few ways to prevent his betrayal. 

Wen Chao rolled over in bed. He was tired from exercising; somehow, he felt uneasy. When thinking about it, he realized that Wen Zhuliu should have already shown up with the money.

Maybe, the cops are still tailing him.

The day was almost over when the guards called him because he had a visitor. 

Although he didn't need to do it, Wen Chao carried the picture with him. The proof that will send Wen Zhuliu to hell or heaven.

A few minutes later, he regretted that decision because the man in the room had haunted his nightmares for over a decade. 

That night long ago, Wen Chao thought getting rid of a troubled gay teen was easy. After all, Wei Ying was at odds with his adopted dad, who didn't like his lifestyle or dating choices. He called it wrong. Lan Qiren moved heaven and hell to avenge the boy. He lost everything but his freedom and some money he had securely hidden.

Later he went after that woman and the kid. But the troubled teen had already become a  detective and a man. Wei Ying knew they were coming for them and was prepared. The cabin in the lake was full of traps. Wei Ying lured them in by pretending to be weak. 

When Wen Chao and his men entered the circle array, he had hiddenly traced it soon became a puddle of blood. The ghosts of people Wen Chao killed reunited to make him feel what they felt when executed.

Wen Chao tried to run away that time too. 

This time, Wei Wuxian stood there smiling, and Lan Wangji said, "Good afternoon. We have decided to inform you that Mr Wen Zhuliu was arrested this morning and spilt the beans."

Wei Ying continued, "The money is now out of your grasp, and your accomplice is arrested. We will also testify against you in the next parlour interview, so you are screwed".

 "However, we discussed this a bit more, and we found a silver lining for you. Give us whatever you have on Wen Zhuliu that made him resurface after so long and help yourself".