Ch 25. Noon

Wei Ying POV

Past

One can think that love is an all-consuming passion, a fire that burns you alive. In my case, my love for Lan Zhan and my Family is the reason to do things, either study, work or learn other things that might be useful. Also, I try to avoid the path that hurt my loved ones. Some things weren't that difficult. My relationship with Madam Yu and Lan Qiren is relatively good, although my adopted father is still bitter about hiding our relationship for a long time. 

The peacock wasn't even a problem. According to Yanli, it was love at first sight thing. Also, he courted Yanli until she accepted him; he convinced his family to buy their marriage and take over his father position as soon as possible. Now, she is pregnant. 

Yet, sometimes I wake up screaming after reliving my sister's death or the destruction of Lotus Cove. Then, after some heavy breathing, I remember: everyone is ok, they are alive, they are happy, and Lan Zhan and I are together. However, I had the foreboding feeling that some blessings might not last, especially since I met him: Wen Ruohan.

Not long after I started to land on gigs in different locations, Nie Mingjue introduced us. I wasn't prepared to meet him. He is still imposing, tall and robust. His body language makes me think in only one word: power. We shake hands, and he offers us a drink. The club is well known for hosting art exhibitions, live events and fashion shows. So making a good impression here will be necessary. A presentation sample was presented in advance, and the interview went well, so I landed a gig on his club. The contract will be limited: just two months. After that, if the probation time goes well, I can stay longer.

After we seal the deal, he calls his assistant to show me the club. I gasp at seeing this familiar face, none other than Meng Yao. He guided me through the installations, the scenario and the dressing room. We chatted for a while, and I asked, "Another internship?".

 He nods. "I need the money, my mom's medical bills are increasing, and my brother is having a difficult time stabilizing the company to bring me on board. This was the only offer I could get considering that I am still an undergraduate student."

The place has a very fancy looking sound system, and the bar is well stocked. The private tables look very comfortable. I am calculating how to bring Lan Zhan here when I stop dead-looking the current art exhibition. It can't be.

My luck has run out. Why is that junk here!!! I step back in fear and astonishment, looking at a piece of an iron seal with the shape of two felines that is hanging in the middle of the display cabinet.

Must it be a copy, right? After centuries, it cannot still exist. It was sealed in a coffin, or so we thought. Or maybe not. Maybe it owned the Nie or Jin Family all along. 

My gaze went to where Mingjue and Ruohan were talking, and I saw that those two were arguing, so I tried to compose my surprise and ask about this "and so, this art exhibition is permanent?"

"Not really. Our boss is an art fan. These artefacts belong to the Northern and Southern dynasties period. Next month, artefacts of the Tang dynasty will be on display. Some of them are copies, though. They are too valuable to be on display".

We continued to visit the place, and after doing the necessary paperwork, I returned to the table where I left Mingjue, but he was gone, and Wen Rouhan was drinking alone. "Mr Nie left. He had a photoshoot and couldn't stay. As I am your boss now, can I ask something? I would like to have a private presentation now."

I nod and head to the technician. I use a piano track to set the mood, while I use the flute to accompany sections of the song. Finally, I salute my only audience and start.