Driving Away

Elle's POV*

"Mom, mommy, mommy where are we going?" I looked into the back row of my car and saw my five-year-old daughter staring at me with her big blue eyes.

Just like her father, I thought. I shook my head and prepared an answer. "Because Daddy doesn't want us around anymore," I sighed.

"He doesn't? Mommy why not? Did I do something?" My daughter's lip began to quiver. Her eyes were big and tears were beginning to pool.

How do you describe this to a child? I frowned and kept my eyes on the road. "Skye, Skye darling. You didn't do anything, you are a little angel."

"She is and that's why I, Lucas Patricks, will protect my little sister!" My seven-year-old, Lucas, said.

"Ok, you two settle down," I laughed. After a few minutes, the back row was quiet. I smiled.

I was going home. I had just divorced my husband of eight years, the father to my children. I didn't have anywhere to go so I was going home. Dad had agreed to take me in and Brad lived close. I was scared, Noah and Lee told me that Mike was going to be bad for me but I hadn't listened. I hadn't wanted them to be right, but as always, they were.

"Mommy," a little voice broke through my thoughts.

"Yes baby," I smiled. Skye had never been a sleeper.

"Are you gonna sleep?"

"No darling I have to drive."

"But Mommy needs sleep. You always tell me I need sleep." My heart went out to my young daughter.

"Mommy will sleep when we get to Grandpa's."

"Who's Grandpa?" Skye prompted.

"Grandpa is my daddy."

"Oh ok," Skye said sleepily.

"Night Skye," I smiled.

"Night Mommy," then the car fell silent.

I smiled to myself and continued to drive. I didn't know where I was going but I had my family and that was all that mattered.

*authors note* I've had this idea in my head for awhile so I have finally decided to publish it. Enjoy.