Arriving

"Finally," I sighed contently. It was five A.M. and we had just pulled up into the driveway of my childhood home.

"Where are we?" Skye asked.

"This is where Mommy grew up and this is where we are going to live for a bit." I helped Skye out of the car.

"I see," she nodded.

"Elle!" My dad ran out of the house. I had called him the night before to tell him that we were coming.

"Are you my grandpa?" Skye asked straightforwardly. She stared up at Dad.

"Yes, it's nice to meet you." Tears welled up in my eyes, my poor dad had never seen his grandkids. Mike really was evil, I see that now. Dad picked up Skye and she hugged him.

"Get your hands off my sister," Lucas called as he sprinted from the car.

"Lucas sh, people are sleeping." I groaned.

"Hey little man," Dad said.

"Who are you? Why are you holding my sister? Are you a kidnapper?" I groaned, Mike had let Lucas watch to many scary movies when I was away.

"Slow down kiddo, I'm just your mom's old man." My dad laughed.

"Oh? Like your mom's dad?" Lucas tilted his head.

"Yup."

"Cool," such a little dude already. 

"I wasn't sure you would ever come back," Dad sighed.

"I know, I wasn't sure either." I paused. "But that is all behind us, I have a job in place and the kids are excited to be here." I said trying to lighten the mood. 

"Congrats kiddo, Brad and his girlfriend will be over this afternoon." Dad smiled. "Would you like to see June? She's been asking for you." Dad's voice dropped.

"Sure," I replied.

"Who's June?" Skye asked. 

"No one hunny, come on to bed. Tomorrow is Lucas's first day of school. We only have today to sleep in, now all of you, inside." I laughed. Surprisingly registering Lucas for school was pretty easy. The only problem was finding a preschool for Skye, the ones around us were all too expensive or too shady. 

"Ok," Skye and Lucas said in harmony. I laughed and followed as Dad showed us to our rooms. 

When I crashed onto my bed my head was spinning and I was dead. I quickly succumbed to sleep.