Investigative Journalism

Sarah, Diego, Barnaby, and Talbott walked along the Ministry's Atrium, trying to stay close together without looking like they were a group.

It could have gone better. Diego, or rather, Donovan Dewhurst, kept walking very close to Sarah, eyeing passersby as though each of them had personally threatened her life. 

"Try not to look so amazed," Sarah heard Talbott whisper behind her to Barnaby. She glanced back to see Talbott whispering out of the corner of his mouth. "Remember, you see this place everyday. It's just another day at the office."

"Right," said Barnaby, before gaping once more at the high, peacock blue ceiling with its dancing, golden symbols. 

Sarah had been to the ministry before, so she had little trouble finding an elevator to take her to the second floor. She clambered in with the others, as well as two other ministry officials. Everyone remained silent as the elevator rattled and shot downward, further underground. 

It opened, and a woman's bored voice sounded, "Level two, Department of Magical Law Enforcement."

Sarah and the others stepped out.

"Their office will be at the end of the hall," said Talbott. "Everyone, keep an eye out but try to look busy. And for heaven's sake, don't hover around the Auror Office."

They spread out. Sarah held her breath as she passed the Auror Office, as though her treachery could be spotted in the air. Unsure of her footing on her high-heels, she stumbled just outside the door, but no one took any notice of her. 

She found the Karasus' office and knocked gingerly. When she received no reply, she opened the door. 

Tulip's father was seated at a large, mahogany desk that was cluttered, yet perfectly organized. Quills were lined up next to bottles of ink, papers were stacked neatly in different piles, and his wand was placed in an elegant stand on his right-hand side. 

Mr. Karasu was bent over a long parchment that trailed to the floor. Sarah could see the paper grazing the carpet underneath the desk. Mrs. Karasu was standing behind his chair, leaning over it to get a look at the parchment herself. They were both so preoccupied that Sarah had to clear her throat for them to look up. 

"Ah," said the bald man, straightening is wire-rim glasses as he looked up at her. "Excuse us. You are Miss Skeeter's newest hire, correct? Miss...?"

"Uh...Lyon," said Sarah. "Rita wanted me to come up here and clear a few things up for her most recent article on the Vigilante."

"Did Miss Skeeter request an appointment?" asked Mrs. Karasu. She had paler skin than her husband, as well as Tulip's red hair, but they both shared the same severe expression. 

"Uh, no, but--"

"The proper way to schedule an interview would be to request an appointment," said Mrs. Karasu. 

"This will only take a minute of your time," said Sarah.

"All the same," said Tulip's father. "If we let you see us without an appointment, then we'd have to let everyone see us without an appointment, and that just can't be done."

They shook their heads in synchronization. Sarah might have laughed if she wasn't already worried about being chucked out of the office. Tulip Karasu could not have been related to these people. 

"I understand," she said, "but Rita is very insistent. I can go get her if you like."

She'd said the magic words. "No, no, that won't be necessary!" said Mr. Karasu. He stood from his desk, as if preparing to stop Sarah from leaving. "I suppose we do have five minutes to spare. But after that, you leave."

The Unknown of the Order (Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mysteryजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें