The Vigilante

"What now?" Barnaby asked the others. He'd already pulled the wand out of its box and was flicking it around in his wrist, getting used to the feel of it. 

"Put that away!" yelled Diego, as sparks erupted from Barnaby's wand and nearly set his robes alight.

"I guess we go poke around Knockturn Alley," said Sarah. "See if we can learn anything about what the Death Eaters are up to."

"Looking like this?" asked Diego. 

"Good point," said Sarah. She pulled out her wand. After ensuring the street was empty, she waved it at Diego's face. His hair grew to shoulder length and became sandy blonde. Another wave, and his brown eyes became bright blue. A final wave, and he grew a thick blonde mustache. 

Diego looked like he was going to faint when he felt at the mustache. Sarah laughed. "You look much better that way!"

"We'll see," said Diego. He used his wand to transfigure Sarah's face. Aside from chin-length brown hair and hazel eyes, she also grew a thick mustache. 

"You're right," said Diego. "You look lovely like that."

Sarah laughed. 

"Yeah, you both look great," said Barnaby flatly. "Would someone do me now?"

Sarah oblidged. Barnaby's chin felt scratchy as a beard protruded from his chin. When he felt at it's hair, his head rubbed against smooth scalp. 

Sarah vanished the mustache from her face. "Let's go."

Knockturn Alley was dark and dingy, every bit the opposite of Diagon Alley. Again, the street held few people, but the ones they saw looked rough, with dark clothing and unkempt hair and teeth.  The shops held no Valentine's Day advertisements; in fact, many of the windows were boarded. The street was lined with trash. A scrawny dog dug through it looking for scraps. 

Sarah led the way inside the pub. They found an empty table and sat, trying to look around without seeming suspicious. 

"Our picture's still on the wall," said Diego, nodding his head. "But there's no description."

"No, but look at the picture beneath it," said Sarah. 

The picture was of a cloaked figure, hood up. There was no visible face. Above the person's head, large letters read: WANTED: THE VIGILANTE. Underneath the hooded figure, Barnaby could just make out a paragraph reading:

"The Ministry is seeking any information on the whereabouts of the witch or wizard known as The Vigilante, concerning crimes committed against former Death Eaters and the International Statute of Secrecy."

"Crimes against former Death Eaters?" he asked. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Sarah shrugged. "It doesn't look as though they've found another waitress to replace  Merula. I better go get us drinks." She got up and headed to the bar. 

Diego leaned forward to whisper to Barnaby. "What did Ollivander mean when he said 'congratulations are in order?'"

"Don't know," said Barnaby. He turned to stare at the wall with the notices, pretending to read them so Diego would leave him alone. 

"You do," said Diego. "I saw you get all nervous and rush to change the subject. Come on, what was he congratulating?"

"I don't want to talk about it," said Barnaby stiffly.

"Fine," said Diego, "I suppose I'll just debate with Sarah on what she thinks he meant."

"Don't do that," said Barnaby. Diego raised his eyebrows expectantly. "Alright, fine. I bought a ring in Diagon Alley a few months back to propose to Sarah. Ollivander saw me walk out of the shop with it."