The Bell Tolls

Mrs. Weasley's reply came within the next couple of days. 

The Sooner the Better. 

So, Barnaby, Sarah, Diego, and Tulip prepared to apparate to the Burrow. At first, Sarah thought it'd be better if only she and Diego went, as they were the only ones with official connections to the order, but Barnaby had insisted on coming along, too. If nothing else, he really needed to get out of that cramped house. He'd been surprised how easily Sarah had been convinced. 

Elena would be staying at the cottage. They figured it would be uncomfortable convincing the Order to trust a stranger, especially an Ex-Death Eater. Penny was also staying behind, as she wasn't sure how apparition would effect little Sophia, and Talbott was staying as well, though he was quite grumpy about it. He wanted to learn what was happening with the Order, but he didn't want to leave his family alone, especially with Elena, whom he still didn't trust completely. 

It was late in the evening when they arrived about a mile away from the burrow. The sky was still orangey-peach near the ground, but a dark black-blue directly above them, the brightest stars twinkling down. Barnaby looked up at the stars as Sarah led the way up the hill to the Weasley's house. He'd never been much good at astronomy--the patterns and symbols that others could read and interpret just looked like pretty lights to him--but, he'd spent enough cozy courtyard nights with Sarah to recognize the most famous ones. Oddly enough, he couldn't find the dog constellation, which contained the brightest star in the sky. One of the few smoky gray clouds must have covered it up. 

When they arrived at the crooked house, Mrs. Weasley asked Sarah "What did I give you for Christmas when you visited?" before letting them in. 

"A snow globe," answered Sarah. Barnaby had no idea what that meant. "I've still got it on my shelf at home."

Nodding, Mrs. Weasley let them inside to the kitchen. Mr. Weasley and Bill were sat at the kitchen table, large glasses in their hands, staring down at their drinks. Across from them sat two familiar faces. A man in tattered clothes, and--

"Tonks!" cried Tulip, rushing forward, pulling her friend from the table and grappling her into a tight hug. 

"Wotcher, Tulip! it's been a minute, hasn't it?"

Barnaby barely recognized his old friend's voice; it held none of the brightness that he remembered. In fact, he barely recognized Tonks at all. As Sarah stepped forward to get a hug too, he noticed her characteristic bubble-gum pink hair was now thin, flat, and a mousy gray. 

"What's the matter?" Diego asked as Sarah accepted another hug from Bill. "It's bad news that You-Know-Who's back, but you've all known about that for a year." 

Sarah and Tulip joined the others at the table as Mrs. Weasley dabbed at her eyes with her apron and tottered off to fetch more drinks. Barnaby and Diego leaned against the wall, on either side of a mantle that contained a rather depressing clock. All the Weasley family members were on it, and all their heads were pointing up at the words, "Mortal Peril."

The man in the old clothes grunted and cleared his throat. When he spoke, it sounded as if it had been the first time he'd done so in several days. "Sirius is dead."

Sarah put a hand to her mouth. The tip of her nose went red, a signal that she was trying not to cry. 

Barnaby had never met Sirius Black, but he'd followed his story with great interest. It had always been strange to him that such a high-ranking Death Eater had never been mentioned by his parents, and it wasn't until recently that he'd learned why. Black had been innocent, wrongfully accused. But in the end, word got out that he wasn't what everyone thought he was. His story had been a beacon of hope for Barnaby, unshakable proof that no matter what situation you came from, you could be good, you could be happy...