PotterWatch

The Prime Minister wasn't dead. 

But somebody was. 

Exactly where the minister had been lying, a young man with dark hair and a pale, thin face stared up at them, his eyes seeing nothing at all. 

"His name was Felix Rosier," said Kingsley sadly, as they stood over his body once more. 

"My old prefect?!" asked Merula. 

Sarah remembered Felix, though she hadn't known him well. He'd graduated after her third year. She only remembered that he'd been a fiercely proud Slytherin, and that he'd become a dragonologist after leaving Hogwarts. 

"But, isn't his family in the Death Eaters?" Sarah asked. 

"Yes, which is why he was so determined to do good in the Order," said Kingsley. "He wanted to make amends. He's been helping me watch over the Minister for a while. We'd been keeping Polyjuice Potion on hand--in case we needed to disguise ourselves as the Minister to throw the Death Eaters off his scent. Felix must have taken it while I was away. There were two other Death Eater attacks tonight; the Order was spread thin. No coincidence, of course."

"What else happened tonight?"

"I don't have time to explain everything now. I need to settle things with the actual Minister and his family. Here."

He dug in the pockets of his robes until he found a quill and a bit of parchment. He leaned over on a vanity table and wrote something on the parchment, then handed it to Sarah. 

"Head to that address. You'll find some old friends who'll explain a bit more to you. I'll meet you there when I've finished my business."

"But, where's the actual Prime Minister?"

"Another safehouse," said Kingsley. "Felix must have just had time to move him before he was killed."

"Do you need help moving the body?" Sarah nodded toward Felix but found she couldn't look at his eyes again.

"No, I can manage. Go ahead."

As soon as they'd numbly descended the stairs, Merula grabbed Sarah's shoulder. 

"Where's Jacob?!"

"I don't know."

"How could you not know?! Use your legilimency!"

Sarah shook herself from Merula's grip. 

"You think I haven't tried already? I haven't been able to get through to him. He's a really powerful Occlumens--"

"Or he's dead."

"Let's not worry about that right now, we need to--"

"Of course you wouldn't care. I should have known better."

"What? I--"

"Forget it," said Merula, wiping angrily at her face with her sleeve. She led them forward again. "Let's just get to this next place."

"Okay..." muttered Sarah. 

Merula grabbed Sarah's arm to disapparate as soon as they'd gone far enough from the house. Sarah had to clench her teeth not to wince as Merula's nails dug painfully into her arm. 

Sarah disapparated, concentrating on the name Kingsley had written on the piece of parchment. They popped into existence outside a small cottage on the edge of the village Ottery St. Catchpole. It was just after dawn on Christmas Day, so no one was around to see them. Sarah and Merula opened the little gate that led to the front garden, followed the stone path to the house, and knocked on the door.