Epilogue

Sarah awoke to the soft brush of her husband's lips against her own. 

"Morning."

She grumbled, screwing her eyes shut. After spending most of her life up at late hours of the night breaking curses, she still hated early mornings, even though she'd retired from Curse-breaking months ago. Barnaby was different. Up with the sun, he was always ready to spring into action and take care of the chores at Lee's Creature Sanctuary. 

"Alright, you can stay in bed if you like," he said. "I guess I'll just have to feed the baby nifflers all by myself."

Sarah's voice cracked as she stretched and dragged her body into an upright position, the hardest part of the morning. "Fine, I'm getting up. But, first I need a cup--" she paused as a sweet smell hit her nose, and her eyes finally fluttered open to see the cup of steaming tea Barnaby held out to her. She took it, blew on the hot surface, and drank a sip. Extra sugar, like she liked it. 

She sighed happily and Barnaby grinned before patting her leg. "Hurry up, then."

He hurried from the room, eager to get back to work. 

Sarah took sips of her tea as she put up her hair and washed her face. Spotting the view of the slightly frosted window, she saw green grass that had just barely been kissed by the sunrise. Too tired to bother with finding clothes, she walked to the front door and slipped into her wellington boots dressed in her pajamas. 

"Morning Luna," she yawned as she entered the barn, spotting the young woman with long, dirty-blonde hair hauling a bucket of feed for their ailing hippogriff. 

"Morning, Mrs. Lee," she said in her usual airy, melodic voice. "The nifflers should be back in their nest. When I first arrived, they'd escaped and were trying to pry the nameplates off the Abraxan stalls. Took me ages to round them all up."

"Yeah, in hindsight, golden plates probably wasn't the best idea," said Sarah. Charlie, the Abraxan in the nearest stall, poked his head out and gave a whinny, as if in agreement. "Well, thank you, Luna. I don't know how we'll manage without you."

Luna was planning to set out soon to find and document magical creatures that most people didn't believe existed.

"I've asked my dad to put an advertisement in the Quibbler for a new apprentice. I'm sure you'll have a replacement before long."

Sarah wasn't completely convinced the sanctuary's reputation would benefit from a connection to the Quibbler, but she thanked Luna anyway. Truthfully, the place had become well-known for its success in rescuing and rehabilitating magical creatures; Barnaby had even been interviewed recently for the Daily Prophet. Hagrid had sent her a letter just last week telling her that several of his seventh-years were interested in coming for an apprenticeship after Hogwarts, and gave her the names of a few of his best students. 

After feeding everyone breakfast, Sarah found time to change into robes and help Luna exercise the Abraxans, while Barnaby and Liz set to work on physical therapy for the injured creatures. 

"What are we doing about lunch?" Barnaby asked, catching Sarah as she put the last Abraxan, an energetic filly they called Dora, in her stall. 

"I dunno, a quick sandwich?"

"Oh, okay."

"Is that a problem?"

"No, I just got mixed up. I thought the Weasleys were coming over this afternoon."

Sarah slapped a hand to her forehead. "They are! I completely forgot!" 

"So, I wasn't mixed up, you were!" Barnaby grinned proudly. 

"Yes yes, you're brilliant, now hurry up and help me whip up something presentable before they get here."

Liz had gone home for the afternoon, but Luna, who lived in one of the upper rooms, was perfectly happy to help them scramble to make lunch for a hoard of Weasleys. 

"Drat, we used up the last of the dessert wine last night," said Sarah. "We've got to stop having guests over so often. I can hardly keep this place stocked."

Penny, Talbott, and their girls had come over for dinner the evening before. 

"You're the one that keeps inviting them," said Barnaby. 

Lee Manor was so large that it felt empty without a few guests, and Sarah and Barnaby delighted in having friends over to stay as often as they could. Hagrid had stayed for nearly a month last summer, unable to keep away from their collection of creatures, and those friends who lived and worked in the city often enjoyed weekends away in the fresh, country air. Even Jacob and Merula could be persuaded to visit every now and then, and Sarah wouldn't have it any other way. 

Sarah's cooking had marginally improved with practice, but Barnaby was still a disaster in the kitchen. Still, the three of them managed to throw together a decent lunch, and of course, Mrs. Weasley couldn't resist bringing some of her exquisite Yorkshire puddings. 

As always, the Weasleys were a loud and cheerful lot. They ate outside at tables Barnaby had conjured, and then spent a long while talking and laughing at George's teasing of Ron. After a quick tour to see their latest creatures, Ginny could no longer resist. 

"So, are we playing quidditch or not?"

"Oh, but this walk has been so nice," said Hermione, her eyebrows knitted together in worry. It was no secret that she wasn't the strongest flyer. "Shouldn't we at least visit the kelpie?"

"We've seen it loads of times," said George. "I need to redeem myself by bludgering that smug grin off of Lee's pretty face."

"I'd love to see you try," said Barnaby. 

"And I need to have another go at a race with Potter," said Sarah. 

Harry smiled. "You're on."

Arthur and Molly watched as the others grabbed brooms from the shed at the back of the house and played a game using the goals Barnaby and Charlie had put up last year. 

The Weasleys ended up staying most of the day, and they insisted on helping with the evening chores. With all the extra help, they finished in plenty of time to walk up the hill and watch the sunset. Sarah summoned a bottle of fire whiskey and conjured glasses to pass around, enjoying the burning feeling of the drink as she listened to Harry and Ginny banter about who was the better seeker. 

She sighed happily as the sun sank behind the trees and her husband put an arm around her. 

All was well.