Mother's Love

The young woman had never set foot in Malfoy Manor before. It was even more grand than she had imagined it. It was late in the evening when she arrived with a few other Death Eaters, but she could make out the wrought iron gates, the sweeping lawns, the pure-white peacocks. She rolled her eyes at the exuberance.

She was led inside to the main hall. Every inch of the walls was decorated with golden artifacts or portraits with accusing eyes that followed every step you took.

"Dinner will be served in the Dining Room in about ten minutes," said Selene, removing her outer cloak and beckoning down the hall.

"I'm not interested in dinner," said Merula.

Selene gestured for her to follow. She led her down the hall and into a drawing room with a large fireplace that crackled and popped. A lone figure was perched in front of it, leaning on the mantle and staring into the flames. A woman, tall and slim, with short, feathery hair.

"You'll never guess who just completed initiation," Selene called across the room to the other woman.

She turned around. Merula's thundering heart stopped.

"Merula," said her mother. "At last."

Merula stepped forward as if pulled by a chain, walking around the large table to stand face-to-face with the woman.

"Hello, mother."

Her mother just looked at her, taking in everything from her messy hair to her muddy boots.

"I'll give you a moment to get re-acquainted," said Selene. The door closed.

"What are you doing here?" said her mother harshly, searching Merula's eyes frantically. She grabbed both of her arms, shook her slightly. "Why are you here?"

Merula had no answer for this. She was still transfixed by the image of her mother standing before her after so many years apart. Her urgent manner confused Merula. "I thought I'd never see you again."

Finally, her mother smiled. Tears came to her eyes. "It's wonderful to see you, my darling." She pulled Merula into a tight hug. Merula wrapped her arms around the thin frame and buried her face into her mother's shoulder, not bothering to control the tears.

It was as if a hole that had been gnawing at her heart for years had finally been filled, an internal compass was finally pointing north. Nothing else in the world mattered. Finally, for the first time in over twelve years, she was exactly where she was meant to be.

Then her mother whispered in her ear.

"We've got to get you out of here," she said. "If it's not already too late."