Painful Truths

Crack! Barnaby hit the ground hard and rolled. He scrambled to his feet and pointed his wand at Elena as she did the same to him. It was still quite dark, but he could make out her form, standing ten feet away from him.

"Elena? You're one of the bad guys?" Breathing heavily, he glanced about. They were in a large field. All he could see for miles was grass and starry sky. "Where are we? Where's Sarah?"

He advanced on Elena. She stumbled backward, but he grabbed hold of her robes and held his wand to her throat. "Take me back! Take me back now!"

Elena held up her hands defensively. When she spoke, her voice was shaky. "Please, Barnaby. I'm not your enemy."

"Really? It sure seemed like it when you're friends were firing spells at my friends. Now take me back, I've got to help them!" She gasped as he shook her with the hand that clutched her robes.

"Please, please! Just let me explain."

Barnaby growled. The tip of his wand glowed red, ready to act on the fury that pumped through his veins. By the wand's light, he caught sight of her face. Instantly, the anger subsided into shame. Elena was shaking violently, her eyes screwed shut. A tear streamed from her left eye.

What was he doing? After all this time trying to bury the legacy of his parents, was he really no better than they were?

He lowered his wand and relaxed his grip on her. "Fine," he said. "But hurry up, and then take me back. Please."

Elena relaxed a little. She lowered her arms and took a deep breath. "Yes, I was a supporter of the Dark Lord," she said. "The whole time we were in Romania together, I thought you were too. When you left, I assumed it was to join him. A group of supporters left Romania together to join the Dark Lord in England. As soon as I joined, I tried to find you, but I was told you'd abandoned your family and sided with Dumbledore."

"Of course I did," said Barnaby. "The Death Eaters are evil!"

Elena nodded. More tears flowed down her face. "I realize that now. I joined because I wanted wizards to rule over the muggles. I was tired of cowering in the shadows while the muggles lived without fear, ignorant of the world around them. But, when I got here, I saw what the Death Eaters really did. They belittle and brainwash their new recruits, they use each other as scapegoats, they hunt and kill people, not for a cause, but for sport. The things I've seen them do...the things they made me do. It was terrible."

She shuddered. "I wanted to get out almost as soon as I got here. I wanted to find you. But, I knew they would kill me if I tried." She sniffed. "My brother had also joined and was still enthralled by the Dark Lord's propoganda. I wanted to convince him to run away with me, but I was afraid my own brother might turn me in for betraying the Death Eaters. Then, he was captured by the other side.

"The Death Eaters did nothing to help me find him. They said he was collateral damage, that it was his own fault he got captured. Ever since then, I've been looking for a way to escape."

She reached out slowly and caressed the side of his face. He shivered at her touch. "I can't believe I finally found you."

"Technically, I found you," he said.

She gave a small laugh.

Barnaby suddenly had an idea. "While you were with the Death Eaters, did you meet a girl named Merula Snyde? Crazy hair, really mean?"

Elena nodded. "Yes, I know that name. I saw her once or twice at gatherings."

"Do you know where she is? Could you take us to her?"

"Yes, her and her mother have moved back into their old house, so they say. If you let me go with you, I'll show you."

Barnaby thought hard for a few minutes.