What Happened Next

"HARRY!" Hagrid shouted. "HARRY--WHERE'S HARRY?"

Sarah stunned and petrified as many Death Eaters as she could as they scrambled toward the castle, desperate to escape from the reinforcements. They followed a path carved by Lord Voldemort as he pushed through to the doors. 

Sarah moved forward, casting a shield charm behind her so that the Centaur's arrows didn't pierce her back, then tripped over something thick and muscular. 

She screamed as she looked into the eyes of Voldemort's giant snake. Barnaby pulled her to her feet, and Sarah realized the beast was dead. It lay in a pool of its own blood, its head cleanly sliced from its body, as if by a rapier. 

"Yeah!" Barnaby yelled. "You get 'em Featherfur!" 

Sarah glanced at him. Their disillusionment charms had worn off, and she saw him pump a fist as he stared up at the air. She followed his gaze and saw a formation of flying creatures above them. Thestrals and Hippogriffs, Featherfur in the lead, were now circling the heads of the giants and pecking, scratching, and kicking at their eyes while Grawp punched them in the guts.

The Death Eaters were now outnumbered, and the surprise attack had great affect. Sarah had difficulty finding new opponents to duel; nearly every enemy had either fallen or fled into the castle. 

Still, while his followers dropped one after the other, Voldemort shrieked in rage and continued carving a path into the castle. Sarah ran after him. Nothing else mattered if Voldemort lived. 

She saw him battling three strong fighters at once--McGonagall, Slughorn, and Kingsley. He still had time to send Killing Curses at anyone who dared to attack him from the side. Sarah saw a boy with red hair pull his bushy haired friend out of the way just before one such curse struck her. She saw Talbott transform into an eagle, his head vanishing just in time to be missed by the spell. She saw Diego charge forward, his face set with all the determination of someone who must try though they are doomed to fail. 

"NO!"

Diego's spell actually hit Voldemort. Sarah saw him stagger before the killing curse left his wand and hit Diego directly in the heart. Diego landed on the crumbled courtyard floor. 

Her eyes stinging with fiery tears, Sarah glared at Voldemort. Whatever spell Diego had hit him with hadn't done more than pause his attacks. Bellatrix had moved in front of him to fight off his combatants while he recovered, then he shoved her aside and continued to push McGonagall and the others into the castle. 

Sarah charged forward. Diego would not die for nothing. She would kill Voldemort herself if she must to avenge his death. 

"Duck!" Barnaby yelled.

She did, hardly slowing at all as he fired a spell at an oncoming Death Eater, blasting him so hard against the doors to the castle, Sarah heard them splinter as the Death Eater hit the ground. 

As the remaining fighters flooded the entrance hall, Sarah followed after Voldemort, Barnaby right beside her. They had to jump out of the way as Hagrid tossed a Death Eater across the room. House-elves ran about at knee height, brandishing kitchen knives and rolling pins that they used to bring Death Eaters to their knees. Sarah and Barnaby fired a few more spells into he crowd before giving up. At the rate the battle was going, they were more likely to hit one of their friends than the Death Eaters. Instead, they followed after Voldemort. 

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!" 

Sarah was buffeted by the crowd, as every able body moved toward the sides of the Hall making way for the two most epic battles taking place. Barnaby grabbed Sarah's arm so that they wouldn't be separated as they backed up, every eye watching as Voldemort continued to battle his three opponents, and none other than Molly Weasley pushed three girls out of the way so she could take on Bellatrix Lestrange.