Voldemort's Return

They stayed with Penny and Talbott an extra night to attend the funeral. Sarah had known Cedric in school. He had started in their sixth year, and they had become about as close as two people could with such a gap in age. 

The funeral was held in the Great Hall with Dumbledore presiding. Sarah, Barnaby, Penny and Talbott sat near the back behind rows of students dressed in their black robes, the shock still set in their faces at losing someone so young--losing one of their own. They could hear Amos Diggory's occasional sob from the  front row, and a trumpet-like sound told them that Hagrid was nearby, blowing his nose into his tablecloth sized handkerchief.  

Dumbledore stood at his podium behind the casket, the twinkle in his startling blue eyes extinguished as he faced the mourning hall and the Hufflepuff banners. He talked about Cedric's accomplishments and qualities, then seemed to look each person in the hall in the eye. 

"We must all be extremely cautious from this point forward, because I tell you, this was no accident. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered--by Lord Voldemort."

Whispers erupted about the hall. On either side of her, Penny gasped and Barnaby tensed, giving her hand a sharp squeeze. Sarah's eyes searched the hall for some sign of a mistake. Surely, she'd heard Dumbledore wrong. Lord Voldemort?  But he was gone. His powers were lost the night he tried to kill Harry Potter. This was common knowledge. It was clear by the upheaval of the crowd though; she'd heard Dumbledore correctly. 

"The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this," continued Dumbledore, raising his voice to be heard over the din, "but not to do so I feel would be an insult to his memory."

Sarah scarcely heard the rest of Dumbledore's speech. Her mind reeled. What would Voldemort's return mean? She remembered the days when she was a young child and he was at the height of his power. Her mother had quit her job, too afraid to leave the house or to trust anyone else to look after Sarah at home. Every evening, she'd pace the floor until Sarah's father returned, and every morning they'd tell each other goodbye as if it was the last time they'd ever see each other. 

This was also when Jacob had gone missing, and rumors flew that he might have been abducted by the Death Eaters, or that he'd joined them willingly. 

After the service concluded, they went back to Penny's flat. Everyone sat around the table in silence, each person lost in their own thoughts. At last Talbott sat up. 

"I've got to go into the office," he said. "The aurors' office is probably in an uproar."

Penny held his hands. "Do you have to?"

"Yes, dear. It's my job." He kissed her forehead. "I'll be back before you know it." He transformed into a handsome eagle and flew out the open window.

Penny stared after him, her brow knitted with worry. 

Sarah stood up as well. "I've got to go talk to Dumbledore."

"What? Why?" asked Penny. 

"I just have to."

She strode to the stairs before realizing Barnaby was on her heels. 

"You stay here with Penny," Sarah said. "I don't think she should be alone right now. She's pretty shaken up."

She could tell he didn't like it, but he nodded, and she hurried down the stairs.

Sarah had to wait for several hours in front of Dumbledore's office for him to return. The corridor was empty; she guessed the students had all sought refuge in their dormitories, an attempt to hide away from recent events like a child attempts to hide under his blankets from monsters.