Wizards Unite

Most every person who'd fought along with Harry Potter remained in the castle the rest of the morning. The bodies had been carefully removed from the Hall for now, and everyone sat at the four house tables, processing their victory.

Sarah sat at the Slytherin table with her friends--Jacob, Penny, Talbott, Bill, and Diego, along with others who had come with the reinforcements from Hogsmeade: Charlie, Jae Kim, Liz, and Badeea Ali. Chiara was still running about with Madam Pomfrey looking after the injured.

"But I don't understand," Sarah was saying to Diego. "I mean, I'm so glad you're alive, but I saw Voldemort's curse hit you." No one winced at the sound of the name. There was nothing to fear from Lord Voldemort any longer.

Diego shrugged. "Abuelo had told me that he would be the one who killed me. I considered making myself scarce after he'd supposedly killed Harry, but I was just so angry, and so proud of all the people who kept fighting, that I knew I had to keep fighting, too. When his spell hit me, it hurt like hell. It was like I'd been plowed over by an erumpent, and my heart had frozen solid. Everything went dark, and I knew it was the end. But then, I came to a few minutes later."

"That must have been what Harry was talking about," said Penny. "When he died, or tried to, to protect us, he said Voldemort wouldn't be able to kill anyone else. That must have been why the spell didn't work."

Sarah felt another wave of appreciation for the Chosen One wash over her. She glanced about, just to get another look at him, but he seemed to have disappeared from the hall. She didn't blame him. She'd want a few minutes of peace to herself, if it was her.

The group sat in silence for a moment, content to be alive and in each other's company. Then, Bill, clapped a hand on Charlie's shoulder and stood.

"We better go see about Mum."

"Yeah, alright."

That they'd lost their brother was apparent on their faces. While they sported smiles, their eyes couldn't quite hide the grief behind them.

Sarah watched them reunite with the rest of the Weasley's, then stood as well.

"Where are you off to?" asked Jacob.

"To find Barnaby."

She'd lost track of him half an hour ago, when he'd gone off to talk to Charlie while she'd run up to give Jae a hug.

He wasn't difficult to find. She did the same thing she'd always done at school when he was absent, follow the familiar path to the Care of Magical Creatures Paddock.

There he was, tall and broad as ever, looking after the hippogriffs and thestrals that had joined the fight.

"Hullo there, Sarah!" boomed her old Creatures Professor, Silvanus Kettleburn. He'd been part of the reinforcements from the village.

Barnaby let the Hippogriff's back foot he'd just finished bandaging drop to the ground. He stood to smile at her.

"Hello, Professor Kettleburn," she said. "Good to see you in one piece."

"Well, I wouldn't know about that," he barked, waving his wooden arm and giving his wooden leg a kick. "But, I've not lost any more pieces today, and that counts for something!"

Sarah smiled. She'd always liked Kettleburn.

"Do you need any help?"

"As a matter of fact, we've just about finished up. These magnificent creatures gave those giants a right wallopin', and received barely a scratch in return. The few that were injured were already largely taken care of by Barnaby here by the time I'd limped over. We've just got to put away our supplies, and I reckon we can rejoin the festivities."